Is the 1998 onwards section aimed at MTB only?

Sticking 700x32c tyres on it, along woth drop bars and a selection of other road bits (cranks, brakes, saddle, pedals) though? Are we saying that the key to an mtb is the frame, not the build or intent?

I guess it's the intent of the bike then, so I'm still screwed, there is no way I'd ride it up a mountain, ita fine for gravel tracks though.

It is still an mtb in reality, plenty of people put road gears on mtb's back in the day, or ran drops, narrower tyres etc

Gravel bikes are always going to be a dividing subject, I suppose if it was a road bike and you put knobblies on then it is still a road bike, same with an mtb and slicks, the bikes intentionally made and sold as gravel bikes, well, your guess is as good as mine.

Now you are taking it down to small points, the wheel size has already been established, whether you want to fold your mtb is irrelevent, and gravel bikes is just marketing phrasing.
I think you are selling the section a bit short. There is actually plenty going on and not all of it is mtb. I think it would be very interesting to let that bleed through in the 98+ botm. Bike is a broad term.

Last edited:
I think you are selling the section a bit short. There is actually plenty going on and not all of it is mtb. I think it would be very interesting to let that bleed through in the 98+ botm Bike is a broad term.

How exactly?

Four examples

Four examples

How does that equate to me selling the section short as you said?

The kids example, well, no one said they had to be grown up bikes did they? infact I am sure we have had kids special months and a kids AS bike has won BoTM.

Gravel bikes has already been addressed no?

The ebike example, again has not been mentioned, if it has pedals and also a motor assist then why would it matter?

And folding bikes lol, if you want to stick a hinge on your mtb then go for it, again not mentioned and no where in the rules does it say you can not have your bike fold up on you while riding, though it does have to be rideable.

I think there will always be blurred lines, like is a 20 inch trials bike an mtb.

For me the distinction would be is it designed/repurposed for use on or off road

How does that equate to me selling the section short as you said?

The kids example, well, no one said they had to be grown up bikes did they? infact I am sure we have had kids special months and a kids AS bike has won BoTM.

Gravel bikes has already been addressed no?

The ebike example, again has not been mentioned, if it has pedals and also a motor assist then why would it matter?

And folding bikes lol, if you want to stick a hinge on your mtb then go for it, again not mentioned and no where in the rules does it say you can not have your bike fold up on you while riding, though it does have to be rideable.
I don't understand how you see an mtb in every bicycle there. There is much more to this, and that is why I said you are selling it short. To be clear I di not say this to attack you, rather to open a discussion on the reach of this section. Because it is interesting to me how the first section on RB says MTB until 97, the second says Road, but the third one just says bike chat 98 onwards. I think it has a broader reach or in any case potential reach than just mtb or road. Which is probably why all these different bicycles show up there.

I realise that I'm the village idiot and as such , well am an idiot , but Grantoury has a good point in so much as the simple addition of m , t , and b to the title banner would close this discussion completely . It was unclear to me in 2021 when I put up my Varonha , so much so it's the opening line in the thread , it's still there .
If mtb were added to the title it would only decrease the amount of threads added there , furthermore if the machine in question has blurred the definitions of road/hybrid/atb/shopper it's more likely to be objected to in the Road section .

• Love
Reactions: Woz
As the sections evolved and were set up :
This '98 onwards section is MTB as it was setup for what was then non retro mtb
For road bikes there is a section in the road section called Road bikes 2000 Onward
It is primarily a site for retro MTB with a defined section for Road and also BMX.
It is what it is. ;)

Jamie

Back