Is BOTM too elitist??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is elitist at all.

As has been said, the people vote for their champion. Money spent is not (I don't think) a factor, whether its a lot, or a little.

People vote for the bike they like the best, simple.

But.

I never vote for anyone who has won before to give others a shout that cant afford countless dream bikes. . . but that is just me and the way I look at it. Everyone is different and has their own criteria.

toaster999":9wz4ldpn said:
...but having something that there is less pressure to enter a top flight/mint condition bike would be more inclusive?

I believe Retrobike already has something like that call "rides". I think the general idea is that you rock up with your favourite retro ride, go for a ride with similar people on old bikes, get dirty, share a laugh, eat cake, drink beer and go home happy. :cool:

FluffyChicken":1qw9yas6 said:
Rampage":1qw9yas6 said:
I've heard rumours of an Activator special early next year.

Don't tell marc2tone after riding it around here I believe it may have found a skip on the way back home... Some lucky person may have been skip diving though.

How is having an Activator dropped your head whilst having a quiet rummage lucky? :D

As a winner it was damn hard and came as a complete surprise.

I recommend all to enter whatever they have in the best condition using the best photography/ imagination you can.

As I dared say before, I believe we are an elitist bunch, but I don't mind it and wouldn't have it any other way. I think bikes entered in the BotM contest get their share of exposure even if they win or not. Who care who wins, really? And the underdogs get their appreciation too. It really isn't something that we could change by changing or bending rules. It's not like you could say "hey, please like that perfect Yeti replica less, because it 'would be fair' that cheaper and less exclusive bikes win too every now and then", it's not realistic. Things actually regulate themselves and voting for BotM is a mirror of who and what we are; accepting ourselves as such is a one way street really. I choose to ride this street with a big grin and I'm sure others d just the same.

Retrobike is a great community. It eats my heart alive every day, but I'd lie if I said I didn't like it.

These obvious things being said, cheers fellow retro enthusiasts!
Mx

I dont see a big problem. Its not really every month that its this high end specific. Yes its a posh month, so yeah the basic bike cost are higher but then a Kona/orange/marin month could be just as elitist.

Unless its somthing especially rare or saved then a bike with a tonne of rust and no paint isnt going to be in the running really is it? So thers a good chance most of the entries no matter the month have had a degree of spends on them.

And you have to have a theme. I have no red bikes/red kit. Didnt feel bad about not being able to enter in red month now.....Just aslong as next month is 96 kona lx lavadome but with factory 97 paint and 96 decals. ;)

When I vote in BoTM it has nothing to do with 'which bike I would like to own' or what groupset it has, or even what 'Brand' it is; my vote is cast purely on the basis of which bike visually appeals to me the most, hence my vote for the winning Fat this month just gone. Other months I see no rhyme nor reason as to why a certain bike would be the peoples' choice??

not elitist. a popularity contest? maybe, but only cos so few people vote as a ratio of views.

personally i only ever vote for the bike i'd like to own most. in a klien/fat/yeti month it can only be a yeti as i dont care much for the other brands.

It's impossible to have one without the other I'm afraid

I must admit when I see botm I sometimes think..F**k me no one stands a chance against that, look how much money they have spent and like some have considered perhaps we should have categorized botm for say elite, everyday and one offs

The problem is even if you agree with that sentiment who decides and where do we draw the line?

You also have to understand relative spending. Someone who has a lower end bike may have spent relative to their income the same amount as say someone who has more cash to spend but pro rata has spent an equal amount.

The idea that someone has more money to spend and they don't wince when they finish and look at the bill (they often hide from the mrs :LOL: ) is probably not recognised

I do agree that sometimes when people see botm some hold back and think "I don't stand a chance" then I have to say if your looking for medals then your likely to be dissapointed as only one can win no matter how much money you spend

If however you enter wanting to show your accomplishments and pride in your bike and abilities then I say, you've already won

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back