Is BOTM too elitist??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont really like self-nomination. Maybe you should need two or three independent nominations (and yes, I'm well aware some builders have some fanbois) to get into BOTM?

Opinions are like assholes, everbody's got one...

However if members want to write at length about each other they should do it via PM. Then the rest of us won't have to scroll though it all to possibly find some scraps of information about bikes :?

cce":3sxdssxp said:
I dont really like self-nomination. Maybe you should need two or three independent nominations (and yes, I'm well aware some builders have some fanbois) to get into BOTM?

:roll: There must be a lot of fan bois then.... :roll:

lrh":2ftq5yi4 said:
Opinions are like assholes, everbody's got one...

However if members want to write at length about each other they should do it via PM. Then the rest of us won't have to scroll though it all to possibly find some scraps of information about bikes :?

So it would seem.

Perhaps you need to read it first and not scroll, im sure theres plenty of bike content and links. :roll:

sinnerman":1y3428ru said:
cce":1y3428ru said:

I'm sorry, but I really dont see how that follows what I said.

cce":3d7rc7c6 said:
sinnerman":3d7rc7c6 said:
cce":3d7rc7c6 said:

TO make the BOTM enjoyable, and an open comp, i dont see how two or three nominations from others to put a bike forward and eligable would work, like you say you would need a lot of fan Bois.

sinnerman":2zsjz52d said:
cce":2zsjz52d said:
sinnerman":2zsjz52d said:
cce":2zsjz52d said:

TO make the BOTM enjoyable, and an open comp, i dont see how two or three nominations from others to put a bike forward and eligable would work, like you say you would need a lot of fan Bois.

No you wouldnt, you'd just need two or three people who like the bike. Most contenders will have that easily.

What I was suggesting is that some people will always get nominated because they have a little club of fanbois.

As a newish member I thought I would wade in with my my opinion. I personally am not a fan of the bikes that are polished within an inch of their lives and never ridden which seem to be the majority of those in botm. In my mind bikes are to be ridden otherwise what are those round things at either end for? As for kleins i've never liked them or understood why people do. That said I can respect the work and dedication that go into those.

As with any hobby there will be different factions those people who rebuild totally period perfect display bikes and have a heart attack if they see a modern bottle cage on a period bike. Then there are those like me who build everyday mid range bikes to ride with parts within a few years of the original production and also happily use the odd modern part if deemed necessary. Then there are people who take a period frame and turn it into something totally off the wall. There is room for all types in rb.

IMO botm is for the polished and preened bikes. As much as i appreciate threads such as sinnermans and enjoy reading the history and research the botm thread really isn't the place the original build thread is. Other forums i belong to photo competitions only allow the photos in. Imo this should happen in botm. It should be about the pictures of the bike nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back