Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Having only moved to a new village at the beginning of May most of my riding this summer has been on the road (conveniently there is one just outside my house) So me and our Jimmy have been looking for some local trails off road.
One track that immediately caught my eye was a strange path leading from the pub garden out through the middle of some arable fields... I asked the landlady where it went & why it goes smack through the middle of the fields?
Apparently it’s our own version of a “Lark Rise to Candleford” road, a right of way that now is a marked footpath that goes directly as the crow flies to a small hamlet. (One without a pub)
It’s normally well worn but now the harvest is on, some of the ten fields that it crosses may be scratched up a bit.
Now I know it’s seem a very odd thing to do... cycling from a village with a pub to one without but we thought it was worth a go. (& I promised Jimmy a half of bitter shandy upon our return..

The potato rutted field was actually quite pleasant with a 26” sus bike

However the trail went cold at a harvested cereal field and it was actually bloody hard going....

Attachments

• 61D92F63-C7C3-4C6F-BE21-C682F86F30CD.jpeg
    61D92F63-C7C3-4C6F-BE21-C682F86F30CD.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 2,028
  • 9E6426E1-EAB0-4260-80AD-008F86795CE6.jpeg
    9E6426E1-EAB0-4260-80AD-008F86795CE6.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 2,028
Its great exploring new trails in unknown areas. Did you make it all the way?

You should buy yourself the OS map for your area, can make loops up then.

Re:

Next time go the reverse route and get a well earned pint or three at the pub :D
Reminds me of where I grew up in Yorkshire (the fields, not the pub... Actually yeah the pub as well), lots of footpaths across fields that I used to ride, until harvest time or they ploughed the field, and the footpath with it!!

mk one":2snola5d said:
Its great exploring new trails in unknown areas. Did you make it all the way?

You should buy yourself the OS map for your area, can make loops up then.

Didn’t get across that last field, I could see a couple of options and I know the power lines go straight there but the pull of the pub on this lovely evening was far too strong...

And yes, we’ve had a look at maps online and have found plenty of bridle paths, something for the weekend at least.

Chris

Great read but are you taking the piss with your opening paragraph :LOL: even York castle has a road outside - as does Jeremy Corbyns council house on a crime ridden inner city housing estate :LOL:

Peachy!":8ns7c3nt said:
Having only moved to a new village at the beginning of May most of my riding this summer has been on the road (conveniently there is one just outside my house) So me and our Jimmy have been....

Made me smile anyway even if no one else gets it...

He’s easily pleased.

I went on OS website and bought a custom map centred around the house. Well that would’ve meant 50% was sea but you get the idea. You add your own photo too.

Attachments

• 57CA8F50-F8CF-40D1-9E29-BA314C29C43C.jpeg
    57CA8F50-F8CF-40D1-9E29-BA314C29C43C.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,958
The History Man":cdbrdh56 said:
I went on OS website and bought a custom map centred around the house. Well that would’ve meant 50% was sea but you get the idea. You add your own photo too.

Now that sounds like a good idea...

The History Man":3p7u8552 said:
I went on OS website and bought a custom map centred around the house.

Yes, I recently discovered you could do this when I was ahem... "convalescing" in Malvern last week.

My sister pulled out an OS Explorer map called Banbury House, which is the name of their place. I thought, hang on, I remember taking the picture that's on the cover :shock: .

Sure enough, I had indeed taken the picture from the edge of North Hill that overlooks my sister's place, and stuck it on their computer. She explained about the custom map centered around the house, so the picture was perfect for the job. You can just see the house in the middle distance..... and yes, that black dot is a bird flying past!

Banbury House by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Re:

What's the new village?
Still the East Riding?

The paths through fields around here get interesting once they are plowed and a bit damp.
It can stop a bike dead after 10meters.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":32ufzpf2 said:
The paths through fields around here get interesting once they are plowed and a bit damp.
It can stop a bike dead after 10meters.

I know that feeling :facepalm:

(This was West Yorkshire though, just off the A1 twixt Wentbridge and Thorpe Audlin).....

Attachments

• IMAG2576_zpsuybde8ta.jpg
    IMAG2576_zpsuybde8ta.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,849
Back