Recommissioning my old Lizard..

Tube Screamer

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I’m currently in the process of recommissioning my old Raleigh Lizard which I’ve had since I was 11 (1990).. I’m now 44.
Although it hasn’t been used in around 26 years, it’s still in surprisingly good form! Obviously it could benefit from new tyres, but they’re still temporarily serviceable.. the plastic pedals were completely worn out with plenty of play (it was used daily for school), and so they’ve now been replaced.
The gears weren’t changing smoothly, and so I gave them a setup, which improved things considerably.
There are various other things I have done, including a thorough clean, and whilst doing so, I noticed that the jockey wheels were incredibly worn, so decided to replace them, and bought a new chain whilst I was about it (all genuine Shimano).
All went well, other than when I came to reset the rear derailleur.. it really took some dialling in to be able to change consistently through the gears, and even when it was as good as I could get it, there is still a clicking sound with each rotation of the crank.
Under closer inspection (I’m no bike expert by any means), I can see that the alignment between the rear cluster and the jockey wheels is completely skewed in relation to each other. Nothing is bent, but I’ve noticed that there is plenty of excessive play in the rear derailleur hanger/pivot joint, and also the next joint down (housed in a black plastic barrel).
I’m guessing that the original worn jockey wheels were allowing the chain so much free movement that it could be set up well enough without this clicking sound, but the new ones are fighting against it, trying to keep everything in line, but finding it impossible with so much play.

So obviously the original 6 speed Shimano SIS rear derailleur is going to need replacing, and that’s really my question.. does anyone have any advice on my best options for the Raleigh Lizard? I’ve had a quick look online, but with so many variables to choose from, I really didn’t know what to choose. I’d ideally like something that’s going to work with the original shifter, as I wanted to keep the bike it as original as possible.

Thank you for any advice

Russ

Maybe post a video if you can, Russ as it's hard to disagnose the fault from the description. All I will say is that those old rear mech, while not exactly top of the range, are near enough bomb proof.

If it does come to replacing it - a Shimano Tourney mech would likely work.

Might help:

Thanks for the reply.. I took a couple of pictures, and a video to show just how much lateral play there is, but I don’t seem to be able to select the videos. However the pictures show that it is out of line (although it certainly looks worse in reality). Looking from the top it looks as though the jockey wheel is simply out of line with the rear cluster, but the upper wheel is actually in line.. the lower wheel (due to the play) is sitting closer to the wheel.. IMG_5661.jpeg IMG_5664.jpeg

You should be able to find a like for like replacement derailleur no - maybe NOS? What's the Shimano part#?

I never imagined being able to buy a direct replacement.. are they still available?
It’s just a Shimano SIS rear derailleur.. I have no idea of the part number 🤔 IMG_5588.jpeg

looks like it's just a cable adjustment issue? Maybe? where are you based? there may be a friendly member near you that could help?

FWIW, I had a raleigh lizard too. I found it to be a very hateful thing :)

Unsure if it's just me, but the first picture I do fancy the hanger is bent inwards a touch.

Even if it's not, given the fact it may be worn out you could maybe try bending the hanger out slightly so as the cage is aligned better, as a temporary measure while you source a replacement (if originality is important)

Back