The future of (my) cycling?

I can see both views from @Takingabreak and @CassidyAce. One thing that's human nature is the attitude of 'it was forever that way and shall forever be thus', and then feel disgruntled when the world inevitably changes (I know, that's what I'm like!). We all get into things at a particular point in time, and unless we're very unique, find that the child like infectious enthusiasm disappears to be replaced by a more background level of enthusiasm, and therefore see things changing as detracting from that core love you discovered. It's not wrong, just an observation. I have many, many, hobbies, but the core one is riding bikes. I've been into them since the early nineties when I first got my Specialized Hardrock Mega with 20" wheels and went out riding it with my parents. Since then I've travelled the world with them, raced in over twenty countries and been involved with riding for and doing development for numerous companies. All gave great memories but nothing brings the sheer joy of bikes to me as just taking them and riding them in the Scottish hills. It's how I started and it's how I'll finish. But that bit of being outside is the absolute core; I'm outdoorsy and care not for the way I enjoy that, whether fell running (badly), sea kayaking (also badly) mountaineering (reasonably), climbing (averagely) or bikes (above average). Even when I was training for racing I just couldn't deal with the turbo trainer as I want to experience the real thing. If I can't ride, I'd rather do something else I can do, even if it's just throwing some weights around in the house. Conversely I don't mind the home training board for climbing but I think that's because it's still got movement. Cycling is a tool to see the world for me, and it's why I also dislike bike parks and the creep of manicuring with berms and rock/root removal under the auspices of 'trail maintenance' at my local spots. As a slightly related point, this core reason is why I don't like ebikes and electric (or even most modern) cars, they're just too 'easy' and remove that connection with what's going on around you in the name of quick reward.

As to the bikes point, they're mentally expensive and whilst harsh, I reckon there are a lot of companies who profiteered during the Covid boom and behaved like thieves just because they could. I'm not sure losing them will be a great loss. It became trendy, and any time that happens to a sport I wince because inevitably it brings people who don't care about things being sustainable in the long run, they just want the immediate dopamine hit. My last bike purchase was a Megatower which is what I ride all the time, despite having many others, and the reason I got it was because it was a) one of the few available and b) the one I could get closest to trade through friends. Of course many people can go out and drop £10k on a bike without much thought because there is still a lot of money sloshing about, but even with it being my main thing and earning what I would describe as good money, I still couldn't justify the prices being asked by many companies. That Megatower replaced a 6 year old NP Mega AM that had been absolutely hammered in numerous races and lots of other hard riding over about 10k km. And if that's me, how many other people are being priced out of things if they can not only not easily justify the cost but also not afford? Of course since then the demand has slowed and the number of used bikes at reasonable prices have increased but it's still elevated compared to pre-Covid. However, the great thing is that compared to all those nineties and noughties bikes the modern ones are not only far more capable but also way more reliable. The amount of stuff we would break as a family was crazy, and that was before I discovered DH at 12!

As to riding on the road, I hate it although I did enjoy the roads up here on the NC500 before it became 'famous', and during lockdown when there was bugger all traffic. As well as riding bikes I also enjoy driving fast cars, but even in a brightly coloured loud cars the number of road users who don't see you is frightening. I haven't ridden on the road since Covid and I doubt I will do any time soon either, there's just too much risk. I'll happily ride the steepest and most technical trails because I am in charge of my own destiny, I'm not one for putting my life in the hands of some melt in a Peugeot who is more interested in singing along to the latest tune or checking what their child's doing in the back seat.

Another point I missed in my previous comment. Car brands lobby to improve conditions for the buyers from their cars: better infrastructure, lower taxes, more parking spaces...

What do bike brands do? Spend their money so a bunch of guys cycle very fast for 3 weeks at a time on closed roads from a few selected countries. The bulk of their customer base? They are on their own... When was the last time you saw the CEO of Trek, Specialized or Giant talking to some president about better cycling infrastructure?

But that is only part of the reason for me, the other part is much more disturbing for my brain, that is, my cycling requirements have changed.

Of course they have and they’ll probably change again.
It’s difficult to get motivated at this time of year, so don’t worry about it. I can’t stand indoor cycling but can understand why others do. Keep fit and the great outdoors will be there when you are ready.

When my son was born I sold my a number of my fleet and bought a gravel bike. It was perfect for the short local rides that were all had time for. As he’s got older I’ve had more time to get back into enduro riding and the gravel bike has gone and I’m back on a 150mm full suss. Circumstances will change in the future and my riding and bike choices will as well.

There’s plenty of threads about the cost of new bikes, but for comparison, that Sonder is the equivalent of £570 in 1990. What would £570 have got you back then? I remember one of the local shops in my area had a Marin
Team Ti frame. It’s was £1000, which is £2800 now.

You can get an amazing bike and have a lot of fun wherever you ride for £1600 - one months wages at the minimum wage.
I can't see a time when such quality was so cheap.
My 1st bike in 1977 cost almost a month wage, steel rims, steel calipers, plastic saddle, cottered chainset.
It was strong though. And could be completely dismantled with a screwdriver and plumbers wrench.
As long as you didn't mind also using the wrench as a hammer and the screwdriver as a punch.🤣

If you think of the (seemingly) absurd 10k plus bikes, it's probably cheaper in real terms than the campy-festooned custom hobbs (or suchlike) that the guy who went racing in the next street had bought himself, where all the local kids were standing around jaws on the ground, just hoping to touch some of that shiny Italian jewellery - and the blokes in the pub were saying that they could by a used Avenger for less - of go on holiday to Ibiza, (or the Norfolk Broads...😉)
And his parents would've said "what are you wasting your money on that fancy rubbish for"
Has it really changed?

Another point I missed in my previous comment. Car brands lobby to improve conditions for the buyers from their cars: better infrastructure, lower taxes, more parking spaces...

What do bike brands do? Spend their money so a bunch of guys cycle very fast for 3 weeks at a time on closed roads from a few selected countries. The bulk of their customer base? They are on their own... When was the last time you saw the CEO of Trek, Specialized or Giant talking to some president about better cycling infrastructure?
Surely the financial side of things has a huge thing to be said there though, the lobbying power is determined by depth of pocket and the auto industry is far, far, far more lucrative and not to mention the oil lobby behind it. There's no comparison.

I can find numerous examples of bike companies and corporations affiliated pushing for road safety and what not but how can they compete in what essentially is a numbers game?

And in regards to OP's post, no I never tried using a trainer connected to a pc or smartphone. I can see why it is appealing though, especially if you find it hard to enjoy your ride due to safety reasons or overcrowdedness. You must live in an awfully populated part of the UK though if even offroad riding leaves you at the mercy of hordes pesky people. 😜

Here in Denmark we have quite a bit of cycling infrastructure but in all honestly as soon as you get urban it becomes a hell, even with separate cycling lanes. It is tedious, stop/start riding and it is pretty apparent that though from a safety perspective things are sorted, it makes the bicycle feel rather inefficient as one of the beauties of cycling is that you can go where a car can't. But as urbanisation increases, and apartment complexes litter the landscape, you are increasingly stuck on a separate lane following the car traffic and it just feels suffocating. I only ride as rural as I can get and if I go inner city it is at night.

So, I totally get why you'd like to get the exercise from the comfort of home. But it leads me to a question to you OP, and to the rest of the Zwift crowd. Do you feel like you're cycling? Or is it more like a fitness/exercise regimen or a game? The reason I ask is that for me the real joy is going places, and though I imagine seeing stuff on a screen can be fun, it seems it'd cater mostly to the competitive side of things, but it may strip away the actual enjoyment of exploration by bike, and this feeling of going somewhere powered by  you. So, I wonder, those of you who've taken to not riding outdoors much anymore, were you mostly into the competitive cycling before anyways? If not, does it not feel a bit cooped up to just sit spinning, going nowhere, compared to riding in the real world?

Wow, I didn't expect my post to grow legs and run... A quick read through and there are some really interesting perspectives and questions which I want to respond to.

However, first job of the day which the non-garage people may apreciate is to go and collect an early P7 frame and wheels that I bought on ebay.

Question is, will that purchase make me want to build it up and venture out or is it destined to be on my third (spare of a spare) turbo trainer ;) ?

Wow, I didn't expect my post to grow legs and run...

I think it’s a situation lots of us have been through. Motivation and available time comes and goes. In my experience the key is not to worry, it’s just bikes.

If you need spurred on to get out then post a ride in your local area group. Once it’s up you’re more likely to go out that day even if no-one else turns up. Doesn’t need to be huge, just organise a cafe ride and chat nonsense to internet strangers that soon become friends. There’s probably a few people in the same boat.

Enjoy the P7, I’ve just bought a modern 29 version and it’s ace!

[QUOTE="Imlach, post: 3550834, member: 56173]
But it leads me to a question to you OP, and to the rest of the Zwift crowd. Do you feel like you're cycling? Or is it more like a fitness/exercise regimen or a game?
[/QUOTE]

For me, the distinction is clear. Most cyclists I know do both to some extent, but one is purely training.

The rollers (et al) might have a dash of mindfulness/meditation to it too- and of your local landscape is infested with motorists, potholes and industrial estates, yet lacking gradients, vistas and cake shops, a virtual alpine climb might be a nice alternative

Back