Fat Chance Yo Eddy - 1990 MBUK Summer Special super bike tribute

What a stunning bike. Amazing. I had that copy of MBUK at the time. Memories!

Out of interest, how much did these cost new BITD? I guess 1.5 grand at least?
A Yo was £900 F&F back in 1990 in Covent Garden Cycles. I found my original filofax build sheet for my 89 Team Comp not long ago and the whole bike was £2345 at the time with many parts at trade prices. Your average bike shop customer would spend £3-350 on a bike for comparison. You could buy a ‘nice’ low miles full service history s/h car for ~ £800 in those days but as the saying goes, our bikes were worth more than our cars 😅

Last edited:
A Yo was £900 F&F back in 1990 in Covent Garden Cycles. I found my original filofax build sheet for my 89 Team Comp not long ago and the whole bike was £2345 at the time with many parts at trade prices. Your average bike shop customer would spend £3-350 on a bike for comparison.
Dream bikes for sure.
But worth the money. I’d love to have a go on a yo !

8F3968D9-BD28-4DB9-9600-9A97D20B5C18.png

Hah! Sorry to hijack your thread but I’ve just realised that the colourful speck in the background of your pic is me lining up for my drop in! Great to see you building the bikes we dreamt about as kids.

What a stunning bike. Amazing. I had that copy of MBUK at the time. Memories!

Out of interest, how much did these cost new BITD? I guess 1.5 grand at least?
in the mag they say

"Customers who buy Fat Chance bikes can usually pay extra for something special. The hot pin, white and slime green paint job on the Team Fat Chance we tested caught a lot of eyes. There are not many of them around lke that and getting hold of one of them here will set you back, well over £1000 for the frameset alone"

So I don't think your guess is way off.

Which is why I still can't help thinking lots of retro bikes are a bargain now. I now the prices seem crazy, but its almost always still less than what they cost new, even before you consider inflation. £1000 was a lot more back in the early 90s.

Just adding a photo of the frame as I sourced it from the US. Finding a non rusted out one took a long time.

Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 10.41.00.png

You pay a big premium for a mint rust free Yo. My 93 came from the dry state of Cali. Worth the wait though as the originals ride the best.
yup, I waited close to 30 years for this, and I'd had a few Yo's over the years but always had to replace the seat tubes, so when this came up, I jumped and have not regretted it.

I've not ridden it, but I am tempted to get some none NOS wheels, and tyres I don't care about and take it for a spin this summer. We'll see.

Its my 6th Yo. Had 2 with rust issues too 😩 There is that beautiful ride synergy between the factory segmented forks and the frame which doesn't quite exist with repaired frames or repro forks. Yetis of this era and other super thin walled premium frames often suffered the same fate.

Back