Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Re: Saracen Hardtrax 1997

HardtraxJules":22pomp3x said:
Hi,

Here's my recently acquired 1997 Saracen Hardtrax.

I am in love with it...

I could do with some advice actually on how to adjust the handlebars to get it in line with the front wheel. Any tips?

SO NICE!

If anyone has a silver Saracen Hardtrax in a 19" size, let me know!

I presume it is aheadset and not earlier quill stem. If so, undo the bolts on the back of the stem ( should be 2 ). Adjust stem and retighten. Bolt ontop controls how tight the headset is on the bearings.

leumas88":1m95pkeu said:
HardtraxJules":1m95pkeu said:
Hi,

I am in love with it...

I could do with some advice actually on how to adjust the handlebars to get it in line with the front wheel. Any tips?

SO NICE!

I've seen this on facebook but I'm not sure about that front fork "upgrade"...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 7107586110

Biopacedan":2fkbxtm0 said:
I presume it is aheadset and not earlier quill stem. If so, undo the bolts on the back of the stem ( should be 2 ). Adjust stem and retighten. Bolt ontop controls how tight the headset is on the bearings.

Thank you I've sorted it. It's the earlier type stem.

HardtraxJules":1q9ve2mu said:
leumas88":1q9ve2mu said:
HardtraxJules":1q9ve2mu said:
Hi,

I am in love with it...

SO NICE!

I've seen this on facebook but I'm not sure about that front fork "upgrade"...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 7107586110

Ha, yeah I saw that one but I thought trying to find an original fork to match would be more hassle than it's worth..!

Re: Re:

leumas88":1xsme73s said:
HardtraxJules":1xsme73s said:

Also saw that one, but it looks more like a 20” size like yours which will probably be too big for me! How tall are you out of interest?

I'm 5'8", 32" inside leg

I've just also bought the blue hardtrax that has been advertised a while in HItchin.... it went down to £45 and I was like this is ridiculous! I now have three Saracens, two Ridgebacks and a Raleigh, this isn't counting the bikes I bought for my wife and daughter... :eek: :oops:

I also bought and sold on an 89 Raleigh Alaska recently and I was fine riding it even though it was 23"!

Innnteresting... I'm 5'7", 31" inside leg. Would you mind measuring the standover height of your Hardtrax at the mid point of the top tube, and saddle to bar reach please? I'm coming off a 52cm race bike with very aggressive geometry, so I'm not sure where I stand on these retro mtbs!

I picked up a pretty sweet kitted out 19" Ridgeback Mountain Sport for the missus a while ago from fb marketplace and that fit me well, was really fun to ride! Maybe I'll have another go on it for size... (she wants to go on some bike rides, and so n+1 states I need a daily bike, hence my search for a silver Hardtrax!)

There's plenty of bargains on fb marketplace, seen a load of old tufftrax, backtrax, forcetrax etc- anyone who's after one of these variants, get on there!

So the standover height on my 20" bike is 31 and a quarter. I bet you could ride it but with some slight junk pressage!

I think you're correct in wanting a 19" though for sure in this bike.

The saddle bar to the handle bar stem is 21".

I've realised that my silver hardtrax needs new headset bearings so I'm not even using it right now! I'm going to attempt the repair myself once my tool set arrives. I will be lurking around the forum asking for advice at some point....

Back