Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

BsidetheCside said:
Darcus said:
Here's my Fw Evans Conquest! probably moving it on a some point as its a bit small for me! https://imgur.com/gallery/tXGLDeh

Did you sell this Darcus?

Hello! yes I sold this last year, and later bought a frame that fitted me which I built up....also on my photo's in Imgur.
There'a a chap on here by the name of Uncle, he's a proper expert on this era of Saracen and worth asking if you want one. He sold me mine.

Re: Re:

BsidetheCside said:
Anyone see the FW Evans on the bay? I’ve been looking for one for a while. Just wish it were in better condition

Yes I saw it, nasty looking scab down by the BB though, and the whole thing looks a bit like it may have had long covid.

Re:

I'll just leave this 1988 Saracen Trekker here then...

88Trekker_01.jpg

More here

Like that. A couple of years older than mine, and you got a front U brake which later ones only had on the Trekker Comp. If that crankset and cassette are original they look virtually brand new.

Nick76":1vy861as said:
Like that. A couple of years older than mine, and you got a front U brake which later ones only had on the Trekker Comp. If that crankset and cassette are original they look virtually brand new.

It's all original as far as I can tell. But definitely all period correct except for the tyres, grips and BB. The drivetrain is in very good condition.

The 1987-88 model year Trekker and 1989 Trekker Comp had U-brakes front and rear, but only the latter had a seatstay mounted rear brake.
In 1990 the Trekker became an aluminium frame with LX canti brakes. There were a couple of variants using the Trekker moniker in 1991. This time they had aluminium e-stay frames and Magura Hydrostops.
The Trekker then disappeared from the Saracen line up for a couple of years before a reintroduction in 1994 with a Tange steel frame.

So which one have you got?

drystonepaul":3gwza8gc said:
Nick76":3gwza8gc said:

It's all original as far as I can tell. But definitely all period correct except for the tyres, grips and BB. The drivetrain is in very good condition.

The 1987-88 model year Trekker and 1989 Trekker Comp had U-brakes front and rear, but only the latter had a seatstay mounted rear brake.
In 1990 the Trekker became an aluminium frame with LX canti brakes. There were a couple of variants using the Trekker moniker in 1991. This time they had aluminium e-stay frames and Magura Hydrostops.
The Trekker then disappeared from the Saracen line up for a couple of years before a reintroduction in 1994 with a Tange steel frame.

So which one have you got?
Mine's an '89 or early '90 Tange steel frame, sold as last year's model when I got it in the autumn of 1990. It's got plastic-covered Exage cantilevers on the front which might have been whatever they had in the parts bin, seatstay mounted U-brake on the back, and the rest of the groupset is 500LX.

Re:

Sounds interesting Nick76.
Another of Saracen's Limited or Special Edition bikes by the sound of it.
Do you have any photos you can post up?

Back