Decoding Marin frame numbers.

Hello folks,

Lots of great insight in this thread but I'd like to see if I can get someone with Team Marin experience to weigh in on my situation. Certainly some indications that this is a 1992 Team Marin, decals and serial number but seat post diameter and weight seem a bit off to me... Does this seem like the real deal or did someone order stickers from eBay sometime ago and rebadge this fella?

Frame serial number: M11BA0090

frame weight: 2540 g

fork weight: 895 g

Seatpost diameter 30.9mm

Attachments

• IMG_3921.JPG
    IMG_3921.JPG
    357 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3914.JPG
    IMG_3914.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3915.JPG
    IMG_3915.JPG
    754.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3917.JPG
    IMG_3917.JPG
    413.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    661.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3919.JPG
    IMG_3919.JPG
    494.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3920.JPG
    IMG_3920.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 8
That's actually a 91 team marin in 92 colours. Frame number is for marvel factory, team marin, 1991.

Give away that it's 91 from the frame alone is the "strong" seatpost (30.3mm normally), and the oversize tube set used that year. The rear dropout / fork design / fork dropout design are all subtly different on the 92 from yours. Also if it were 92, it would have the ditched downtube. Top tube will be 15mm shorter too than a 92 the same size, bit that was counteracted by having a 20mm longer stem on the 91.

This is an anomaly that has come up before..your frame is a non uk "other territories" destined frame. Thats why your stops are not on the headtube and the rear brake stop is on the wrong side of the top tube. For some reason a batch got sprayed with 1992 livery.....why? Well im sure marin had a reason, but who knows now. 😂.

If it has been a uk bike it would have been dark grey zolotone and the other territories bikes were 3 colour neon normally.

Good news is it looks in great shape and its the last year of the original tange prestige.... before they started to fiddle with it!.....yes its 150g heavier than 92, but they are a fantastic ride. Give it a polish and off you go!

Enjoy.

Just goes to show why the frame number is important!

That's actually a 91 team marin in 92 colours. Frame number is for marvel factory, team marin, 1991.

Give away that it's 91 from the frame alone is the "strong" seatpost (30.3mm normally), and the oversize tube set used that year. The rear dropout / fork design / fork dropout design are all subtly different on the 92 from yours. Also if it were 92, it would have the ditched downtube. Top tube will be 15mm shorter too than a 92 the same size, bit that was counteracted by having a 20mm longer stem on the 91.

This is an anomaly that has come up before..your frame is a non uk "other territories" destined frame. Thats why your stops are not on the headtube and the rear brake stop is on the wrong side of the top tube. For some reason a batch got sprayed with 1992 livery.....why? Well im sure marin had a reason, but who knows now. 😂.

If it has been a uk bike it would have been dark grey zolotone and the other territories bikes were 3 colour neon normally.

Good news is it looks in great shape and its the last year of the original tange prestige.... before they started to fiddle with it!.....yes its 150g heavier than 92, but they are a fantastic ride. Give it a polish and off you go!

Enjoy.

Just goes to show why the frame number is important!
Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

I'm located in Canada so the "other territories" details make sense.

It does seem in pretty good shape and I found an XTR group to complete the build. Its not going to be period correct but I think it should be a whole lot of fun in the trails!

Cheers

A Pine Mountain for the data base

serial F34AA0137
frame measures 19" ct.
Ritchey headset
unbranded wheels with Ritchey rim tape
8 speed cassette
Thompson seat post
Purple Marin branded stem
Marin branded bars
located in the USA.
Seems to match the 1994 catalog.

just checked myTeam Issue serial number: F24GA0049

So it is a Team Issue with a “2” frame from 94
I am a bit puzzled by the size letter G. It is quite a huge frame with a seat tube length of 55cm… but G?

Did I find something new for the data base?

Attachments

• IMG_3589.jpeg
    IMG_3589.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3588.jpeg
    IMG_3588.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3555.jpeg
    IMG_3555.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 4
F is the factory.
2 team marin
4 2004

That number has no size in it....the size is the last of the 3 letters....you only have 2 letters which is older system (phased out around the end of 93 which makes sence).

As for it being a team issue, marin did do some frame swapping( you get team issues with both letters and 1 as a model identifier) ...but, tbh, I've only ever seen this on 92 ish bikes.

@toothyred

You mean 1994 ..not 2004!

And yes, there are plenty of Issue frames out there that are labeled with a x2 instead of the x1.

I am very sure, Tange and Marin simply took them and mixed them x1 and x2 frames depending on what was ordered from the shops! Frame was completely the same. Only decals and group set was different.

I myself do have a 1000% original 1993 Team issue that has a x2xxxx frame number.

However, ive always been concerned about the number of people on the thread saying the system "dont work for them". Given the rise in demand, interest and frankly prices over the last 2 years, i thought i might spend a bit of time looking into WHY it wasn't working for everybody.

Having owned several marins, including some 80s ones, I very soon realised that most of the confusion and problems arise between 90 and 93 models. So I set about " collecting" 50+ frame numbers and model info from you guys and ebay sellers.

Latest posts

Back