Decoding Marin frame numbers.

@toothyred

You mean 1994 ..not 2004!

And yes, there are plenty of Issue frames out there that are labeled with a x2 instead of the x1.

I am very sure, Tange and Marin simply took them and mixed them x1 and x2 frames depending on what was ordered from the shops! Frame was completely the same. Only decals and group set was different.

I myself do have a 1000% original 1993 Team issue that has a x2xxxx frame number.
Thank you for the clarification. I edited my post above to show an image of the bike itself. Spec-wise it seems to be a proper team issue.
as for the database: that was another motivator to pitch in my serial no

So I set about " collecting" 50+ frame numbers
Its exactly what i did to get here.

As for "it doesn't work for me"....most are either alluminium or 700c or the few instances where cross over happened between team and team issue frames. Other than that ot all works pretty well i thought.....after a bit of fine tuning for a couple of years 🤣

There was an old marin model number thread, which became very confusing as the originator only had 1 of the systems listed .....so that only worked for a couple of years of bikes.

Tbh...i think the biggest problem is that people dont read the whole of the first page...😂

Last edited:
Its frustrating that marin kept changing the system, but to them, it was only ever a way of product control. After a year, when your warranty up, why would they care about tracing it ever again.

So I set about " collecting" 50+ frame numbers and model info from you guys and ebay sellers.
Btw, if you want the last batch of around 30 odd I've collected, im happy to pop them on here if it helps you get any more out of them......

They mainly centre around team / team issue models, which helped sort the bugs out the "frame swapping" debate.

I can't give you the other hundred or so as i changed notebooks, and thinking i had finished with them, sadly burned them.

Btw, if you want the last batch of around 30 odd I've collected, im happy to pop them on here if it helps you get any more out of them......

They mainly centre around team / team issue models, which helped sort the bugs out the "frame swapping" debate.

I can't give you the other hundred or so as i changed notebooks, and thinking i had finished with them, sadly burned them.
I have to ask this. Where on earth did you find and store 100+ frames?
Cheers

Ebay, sellers on here, mates. Pretty much everybody who put a picture of one up!

A lot came from old threads i trawled....

Its one of the joys of retirement 😂.....time.

Ive stepped away from collection all these piles of scrap metal! ... trade in in for a FRS of each year and some titanium and close the MARIN chapter for good :-D

Back