Dave Yates Vulcan---Built.

Re:

Top job Carl. :cool:
The Mavic parts suit this perfectly, and are far better made than Shimano, Suntour or Campag IMO. Pity they're so hard to find!

Can't help thinking it would look great with a set of these on:

sinnerman":37bz4fe9 said:
Wow, tell me more?

The crankset is off one of Geoff Apps' bikes, called the Clelandale. I've been slowly rebuilding it. Very slowly! :oops:
The chainrings are made to Chris Bell's design by Geoff Apps, with 30% ovality. They look a bit mad, but they unbelievably good for climbing muddy hills. The non-round chainrings used these days just don't have enough ovality to make any difference.

Chris doesn't make them any more so the only affordablel way of making them is by laser cutting followed by laborious hand-finishing, or someone clever with a milling machine. Unless you have a CNC machine in your shed!

Cheers,
Andrew

andyz":bvl98h4b said:
sinnerman":bvl98h4b said:
Wow, tell me more?

The crankset is off one of Geoff Apps' bikes, called the Clelandale. I've been slowly rebuilding it. Very slowly! :oops:
The chainrings are made to Chris Bell's design by Geoff Apps, with 30% ovality. They look a bit mad, but they unbelievably good for climbing muddy hills. The non-round chainrings used these days just don't have enough ovality to make any difference.

Chris doesn't make them any more so the only affordablel way of making them is by laser cutting followed by laborious hand-finishing, or someone clever with a milling machine. Unless you have a CNC machine in your shed!

Cheers,
Andrew

They look pretty radical Andrew, I would love to try them. Great Shame Chris Bell doesn't make rings any more, finding what i would like is not proving easy.

Do you have a pic of that chainset, ring side up?

I keep thinking about gear inch combinations, and wonder what that 30% must feel like when ridden.

Back