Withdrawn Dave Yates Vulcan frame

I've decided after having a massive panic attack about selling the Vulcan i'm going to temporarily withdraw selling it. First thing i thought this morning was are you really gonna sell it and then started looking at the prototype Vulcan and i just can't sell it.
That prototype is engrained in my brain after seeing it all those years ago in Steels bike shop and i still would love to have the trilogy of the Vulcan, Diabolo and the Donkisnob so i can replicate the original one like this in the photo.
Also i'm pretty sure my Diabolo may have influenced the colour choice of that Donkisnob.
I've actually got some forks off my 1988 Killi Flyer which are Tange Prestige which i'd love to use but the steerer is tiny 😕

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240321_173513_com.android.gallery3d_edit_652145256528613.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_173513_com.android.gallery3d_edit_652145256528613.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240322_122759.jpg
    IMG_20240322_122759.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20240321_173530_com.android.gallery3d_edit_652160077550485.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_173530_com.android.gallery3d_edit_652160077550485.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Chris I don't blame you for having 2nd thoughts!
I've actually got some forks off my 1988 Killi Flyer which are Tange Prestige which i'd love to use but the steerer is tiny 😕
Plenty of frame builders in the UK still who will happily extend the steerer tube for you. Simple job vs. many tasks they get asked to do. @danson67 and @August Bicycles are two such characters that spring to mind.

And forks are a lot easier/cheaper to post than a frame. Do it! Before @incorrigible persuades you otherwise!

I've decided after having a massive panic attack about selling the Vulcan and i'm going to temporarily withdraw selling it. First thing i thought this morning was are you really gonna sell it and then started looking at the prototype Vulcan and i just can't sell it.
That prototype is engrained in my brain after seeing it all those years ago in Steels bike shop and i still would love to have the trilogy of the Vulcan, Diabolo and the Donkisnob so i can replicate the original one like this in the photo.
Also i'm pretty sure my Diabolo may have influenced the colour choice of that Donkisnob.
Chris I don't blame you for having 2nd thoughts!

Plenty of frame builders in the UK still who will happily extend the steerer tube for you. Simple job vs. many tasks they get asked to do. @danson67 and @August Bicycles are two such characters that spring to mind.

And forks are a lot easier/cheaper to post than a frame. Do it! Before @incorrigible persuades you otherwise!
Dang. *sigh*
I can't blame you either, Chris, as I'm sure most of us on here know how much we get attached to these machines. It's for the best that you have 2nd thoughts before a sale than to have seller's remorse after a sale, because if you keep it, you still have a choice (sell/don't sell) versus not having a choice after it's gone .

As a certifiable e-stay pervert (Hotwheels.'s words, not mine, but y'know, if the shoe fits....in fact, is there a Fan Badge for that?), I've been seeing a few of these Yates Vulcan's on this site, and TBH, I never thought I'd ever have the opportunity to pry one of these out of anyone's hands and smuggle it across the Atlantic. It has been the stuff of dreams, but no, not quite yet a bad dream; it's possible another will come along someday.

Sorry to derail your thread; I was stricken with e-stay intoxication and got giddy. I also want to thank you all for enduring my odd humor.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do with this frame.

Thanks once again to Markybeau and 27Motorhead for the 'heads-up', and of course many thanks to my hero, my consiglieri, my international bike broker/smuggler, Hotwheels. :)

Dang. *sigh*
I can't blame you either, Chris, as I'm sure most of us on here know how much we get attached to these machines. It's for the best that you have 2nd thoughts before a sale than to have seller's remorse after a sale, because if you keep it, you still have a choice (sell/don't sell) versus not having a choice after it's gone .

As a certifiable e-stay pervert (Hotwheels.'s words, not mine, but y'know, if the shoe fits....in fact, is there a Fan Badge for that?), I've been seeing a few of these Yates Vulcan's on this site, and TBH, I never thought I'd ever have the opportunity to pry one of these out of anyone's hands and smuggle it across the Atlantic. It has been the stuff of dreams, but no, not quite yet a bad dream; it's possible another will come along someday.

Sorry to derail your thread; I was stricken with e-stay intoxication and got giddy. I also want to thank you all for enduring my odd humor.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do with this frame.

Thanks once again to Markybeau and 27Motorhead for the 'heads-up', and of course many thanks to my hero, my consiglieri, my international bike broker/smuggler, Hotwheels. :)
Heh @incorrigible, sorry this didn't work out for you, but it switches the pressure on @Spanky22b to make a start on pulling this beautiful frame together into some sort of build so we can get to see more glimpses of this beauty take shape.

Always happy to flag-up any interesting e-stays for you and I think I remember you saying a 17.5" is your size?

The whole Build/project/thread should be a "feature bike" thread, we haven't had one in so long.

And if I the rumor's are true, this frame is one of only four, before other iterations of the Vulcan were developed.

The whole Build/project/thread should be a "feature bike" thread, we haven't had one in so long.

And if I the rumor's are true, this frame is one of only four, before other iterations of the Vulcan were developed.

Wow 😳 i certainly didn't know that it could be one of only four like this, i knew it was alot different design wise compared to yours and Gio's. The other rumour i've read about is that he possibly only made 18 Vulcans 🤷‍♂️

I'd always wondered though with my Vulcan that it could be a very early one because as soon as i seen it i thought it can't be can it,could this be the prototype resprayed because it looked exactly like it. But closer inspection between the two revealed four subtle differences,(i've ringed them in the photos) but apart from that in my eyes they are identical. Which was exactly what i've always been looking for so i could build my very own prototype of my absolute dream bike. Yes some might not believe this but this actually sits at the top of the tree above Steve Peats race bike as my ultimate bike 😳 It was a dream come true getting to own that but the Vulcan will always be thee bike. I'll never forget just standing there in the shop staring at it for ages and ages just thinking that's a work of art and it's stayed with me ever since.
The only other way to beat it would be to try and convince the man himself to part company with the prototype and let it come back to the North East again where it's home is but i can't really see him ever selling it though lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240322_204016.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_204016.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240322_203723_com.android.chrome_edit_707718150957633.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_203723_com.android.chrome_edit_707718150957633.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240320_150735.jpg
    IMG_20240320_150735.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back