Claud Butler Shaman Silver DofE project finished pg11

Re: Hub gear change HELP needed for Claud Butler Shaman

Well that was easier than I thought... cheers gents... :D

Now then, the front crank set.... I’m thinking just remove the inner & outer rings and replace the outer with some sort of guard ring that might fit a 5 bolt 110bdc.....

Any thoughts?

Peachy!":1mt579cu said:
The History Man":1mt579cu said:

Ta, but if she only wants one chain ring up front, I’m assuming this would be redundant?

Think you'll need one, or something similar because the frame has vertical dropouts - you'll need to tension the chain.

Think that you'll need a fatter BMX/single speed pitch chain and appropriate chainring as the Nexus hub runs that style sprocket.

The hub also runs an axle with flats, and tabbed washers to stop it rotating... You may need to get the right ones of these to get it to sit right in the frame (sjscycles have a good selection of spares).

Bike Hoarder":2pt6hv9m said:
Peachy!":2pt6hv9m said:
The History Man":2pt6hv9m said:

Ta, but if she only wants one chain ring up front, I’m assuming this would be redundant?

Think you'll need one, or something similar because the frame has vertical dropouts - you'll need to tension the chain.

Think that you'll need a fatter BMX/single speed pitch chain and appropriate chainring as the Nexus hub runs that style sprocket.

The hub also runs an axle with flats, and tabbed washers to stop it rotating... You may need to get the right ones of these to get it to sit right in the frame (sjscycles have a good selection of spares).

Ah... gotcha, I thought it was looking too simple to be true... :D

Peachy! said:
Bike Hoarder said:
Peachy! said:
The History Man said:
And a chain tensioner

https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-alfi ... pphfOqk8jf

Don't give up on it... Once you've offered up the hub it'll become fairly obvious/easy how to overcome the slight pitfalls.

I bought a crashed Carrara Subway thing - mainly for the forks and the hub was salvageable. Going to mate up to a '97 muni mula for a neo retro commuter/gravel bike thing. Going to try and get the hub to work with 8spd road 'brifters'.

Ok, so this arrived today... I was a bit surprised by the weight!

Anyway.... could someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction of a gear (& how it’s retained)

Ta

Attachments

• F5071389-A270-4B8F-82F4-E3BC9E6C2DF6.jpeg
    F5071389-A270-4B8F-82F4-E3BC9E6C2DF6.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 312

It looks like the sprocket is missing and held on by a lock ring

23008.jpg

Back