Claud Butler - Carpenter - Vintage Bike - Wheel Help

I think you've got a mixture of gear setups there. I'm almost certain that those levers weren't intended to operate two derailleurs. The large lever was to move the rear mech across the gears while the smaller lever was to pull on the mech cage to put tension on the chain. You need somebody with more knowledge of pre-1960s gear trains.

I think you've got a mixture of gear setups there. I'm almost certain that those levers weren't intended to operate two derailleurs. The large lever was to move the rear mech across the gears while the smaller lever was to pull on the mech cage to put tension on the chain. You need somebody with more knowledge of pre-1960s gear trains.
The huret tour de France does state the dual lever can be used for front derailleur too. So the setup seems fine.

It's just that the both levers seem to be moving together when they should move independently. The front housing moves with the levers too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230520_174656_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230520_174656_Chrome.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 7
Well managed to have another little look after dinner, at it appears the local bike place I took it to just didn't put the levers back correctly. The pin that acts as the stopper was facing outwards rather than fixed between the various plates (as now shown) the levers once again move independently hoorah.

Just need to work out how to adjust the rear derailleur to get the chain to fully bed the largest gear. Not sure if that's a cable tension or derailleur adjustment.

And whilst it's a terrible screenshot from my wife's even more terrible video of me giving it a go. That is indeed myself having a ride on the carpenter (gears clicking away 🤣)

Attachments

• 20230520_195330.jpg
    20230520_195330.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230520_195733_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230520_195733_Gallery.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 7
Well managed to have another little look after dinner, at it appears the local bike place I took it to just didn't put the levers back correctly. The pin that acts as the stopper was facing outwards rather than fixed between the various plates (as now shown) the levers once again move independently hoorah.

Just need to work out how to adjust the rear derailleur to get the chain to fully bed the largest gear. Not sure if that's a cable tension or derailleur adjustment.

And whilst it's a terrible screenshot from my wife's even more terrible video of me giving it a go. That is indeed myself having a ride on the carpenter (gears clicking away 🤣)
It's alive, it lives 😍 well done.

• Love
Reactions: Woz
Well cool and well done! It's a great step when it looks and rides more like a bike rather than a pile of old rusty junk 🤗 😍

I'm not surprised a local bike shop could make a genuine error on parts this old. Those rear derailleurs usually have what is called a fixed travel, and so the adjustment is made by adjusting the point where the plunger starts it's travel from the largest sprocket.

I'll need to surf a bit, but essentially there will be one locking nut and one nut to drive the derailleur cage more inboard or outboard.

Back