Claud Butler #862567

From the brochure "Alternatives", it looks like it was fully chromed, had an alloy seat post.
Alloy handlebar bends?
2" Alloy handlebar stem.

I note that the Tour d'Angleterre didn't have to have the jockey wheel tensioner, it was just one option for gears.
(I don't ever remember that thing).
Also, it didn't come with mudguards... but I do remember them. The "Steels" model did.

Could it be Tour d'Angleterre "Steels" of 1938?

That would make my Dad 14 years old when it was built (in June).
In August 1938 he would have been 15... Birthday present?

Ok, looks like the best indicator will be the fork offset, Angle Continental had a 2" offset, whilst the Tour d'Angleterre had 3".

So, the only questions that remain are... what is the fork offset and how do I measure it?

Julian":dusystdq said:
Ok, looks like the best indicator will be the fork offset, Angle Continental had a 2" offset, whilst the Tour d'Angleterre had 3".

So, the only questions that remain are... what is the fork offset and how do I measure it?

No, the best indicator is the oil reservoir... it’s a 1938 Tour d’Angleterre

Some Birthday present! What’s the plan? Restoration? renovation?

Well, its got a 2" offset on the forks.

As for the plan...

My plan was to "cheer it up a bit" for its next 10 years.
The bike is a daily driver, I use it to get around my little town.
It has sentimental value to me.

My cheer-up plan was to give it a coat of paint -black), a smaller Brooks saddle and new butterfly nuts for the wheels.
I was also going to make some new LED lights.
Perhaps make some new but old looking brake levers and gear shifter. The aim was to get rid of the ridiculous cables.

Of course I had assumed I could get another chain oiler nozzle- looks like that will be impossible.
Perhaps I can make something similar to the original.

Why my interest at the moment?

I am in the process of making a keep-sake poster for the bike.
I drew it, and then started to annotate it and realized I didn't even know what the bike was.
This led me to researching and then getting stuck.

I'll try to post a picture of my poster so far... please don't be too critical!

Fantastic! Do you do commissions?

Back