Boulder Intrepid AL (Finished!)

Re: Boulder Intrepid AL (new project)(CRACKED FRAME NOOOOoooo..)

shamobius":2notr0l8 said:
jimi911":2notr0l8 said:
Or just hand it up on the wall ... you got it for about $0 if you factor in the great deal on the parts :)
Well in the short term it may end up a 'hanger' until I sort out what to do.

Part of me wants to do the simple external ring fix, just so I can build and ride it, as I've never ridden a Boulder before (like most of us). I've read good and bad things about the ride quality, so if I really love it, then I could justify the full headtube replacement and re-paint one day. If the ride feel leaves me cold, then I'm not really out that much, and could pass the frame along to someone else who wanted to take on the project. An early full suspension bike is hard to compare to today's sussers. For a retro hardtail its a different story, they can really hold their own. For a quirky old suspension design, if it ain't workin', its hard to enjoy. I had that experience with my Klein Mantra and had to let her go.

I'm not into keeping bikes in my stable that aren't fun (for me) to ride...

Given the refund and parts, my approach would be to go for the full-on repair and then if you find you don't enjoy the ride the value of it should easily exceed the cost of the repair. Someone else can buy it with confidence, knowing it has been properly repaired and you get the satisfaction of resurrecting it from the grave and documenting progress on here!

I guess the only downside would be the emotional investment, where if you've really been looking forward to completing it and then are disappointed with the ride that could be hard.

Re: Boulder Intrepid AL (REPAIRED)

After weighing all the options (and my wallet) I decided to ship the frame over to Vancouver and have Chris DeKerf do the repair. He epoxied titanium rings on the top and bottom of the head tube. Because there wasn't very much tube extending beyond the welds he had to scallop the rings around the welds. I think it turned out really great and I am now confident to continue this project. Chris has done this repair on the aluminum Yetis with great success, and I have faith that the frame is now ready for years of riding ahead.

I actually think the titanium rings complement the Gazelle head badge, and I am going to leave them bare.

Next step is to match the paint for touch ups.

Re: Boulder Intrepid AL (HEAD TUBE REPAIRED)

He didn't offer, and I didn't ask...

I've got a pretty good paint match now, and will do my best to touch up myself.

Wow...pretty impressive repair. Especially to fashion the Ti around the welds.

Can't wait to see her built up!!

Re:

I so pleased for yah, would heve been such a shame to leave it as it was

Your right the repair doesn't look out of place, and with some sensative touching up in the paint dept it will quite a stealthy job.

Looking forward to seeing this one built up now

I had the paint colour matched quite well by a local auto detailer, and did my best to touch up the areas where the paint had been chipped back to allow for the rings to be installed. It went all right, but because I was brushing on the paint the colour and finish were not perfect. I was using paint out of a spray can that I sprayed a puddle of then painted on with a small brush. Because of the metallic paint the colour varied a bit. I didn't want to tape and spray the head tube entirely in case the colour wasn't a perfect match, which it isn't, quite. I sanded, wet sanded, and used polish to get the finish to match, but the metallic ended up being a bit 'swirly' due to the brush strokes. But unless you are squinting it is hardly noticeable...

Once I determined that the colour was a decent match I decided to do the forks, since I didn't really like the original colour of the Rock Shox Mag 21s with this frame. Plus most Boulders tended to have forks matching frames.

So I peeled off the decals and stripped the paint with stripper. Easily done. Then sprayed 5-6 coat,. and hand polished. I think it turned out well...

Back