Bottom bracket spanner

Can't help you with the Park tool, but the clicking sound could be a pit in one of the cups or if it is a bit of a creaky click, perhaps wear on a crank. With the chainset off, you can feel the state of the bearings quite well just by turning the axle in your fingers. If that is smooth and well adjusted, the problem could be with the axle/crank fit. 2-3mm movement suggest all is not right within the BB. When it is all out, check the axle bearing surfaces carefully too; these can also become worn beyond adjustment and it's so much better to know before you've reassembled the bearing.

Re:

I have the HCW 11. It's very thin, so if that's seized I think you'd have a problem. If it's not seized a normal pin spanner might work but I'd try a drift and a few sharp taps first

Is it possible to remove the drive side, bearings and axle just leaving the fixed cup?

I sometimes use a 15mm stud/bolt arrangement to remove the stuckcup.

It doubles as a headset cup press!

Tim

Attachments

• 20200505_170524.jpg
    20200505_170524.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 207
Re:

What a day!

Having given up trying to source a specific tool I opted to go with some of the suggestions here and set about with various punches and a hammer. After getting nowhere fast and having hit my hand a few times I went for the bigger 4lb club hammer.
Well, it was not going to budge and I had to regrind the burrs off the punches a couple of times but eventually it started to shift. Would you believe I had to use the punch right until the last thread as there was no free movement at all. With the adjustable side off I was able to remove the axle and bearings and a funny cardboardy type sleeve (photo attached). I then went with the long bolt and two nut method as suggested.
I made the mistake of using some washers first but just couldn't get it tight enough for friction to work so dropped the washers and proceeded again, this time with success.
The cups themselves are in great condition but the bottom bracket looked like half of Brighton beach was in there! Heaven knows how that grit and sand gets in there (photo attached). I have since cleaned the bracket as best I can with an assortment of brushes and rags but it doesn't quite feel good enough and I would appreciate any suggestions here? Without greasing yet I can wind the cups in by hand but they are not as smooth as others I have seen.
Does anyone know what the cardboard sleeve was/is for? Does it need replacing and if so with what?
Two new bearings required; there were 9 balls in each cartridge and advice on best place to get them would be appreciated.

In hindsight, I paid too much for this bike, it looked good in the photos and expected to do a bit of restoration but this has had a lot wrong with it. I enjoy doing it though :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    585.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    646.8 KB · Views: 202
Re:

The tube is just to help keep bits of crud / rust out of the bearings. Not strictly necessary, no

I've got several 'concertina' style plastic sleeves that fit traditional BB's and help to protect against muck and bullets getting into the grease and bearings from down the seat and downtube. That's probably where your Brighton Beach grit etc. came from - although there does seem rather a lot! If you don't have a plastic sleeve (you can cut one from an old washing up liquid bottle, a card one is a last resort!) then smear the centre of the axle with sticky grease which hopefully will 'attract' the muck and hopefully stop it migrating into the bearing surfaces.

If you want a laugh, check out the price of a flimsy nylon tube that happens to have Campagnolo moulded into it and calls itself a "C Record" (everything has to have this prefix on eBay regardless to help raise the price) "Bottom bracket sleeve, used". The description may add that it is infused with genuine Italian grit.

Back on topic, sounds like you may need a new axle.
Lots of thin oil and an old toothbrush and a bit of elbow grease will have that thread as smooth as silk, though.
Z

The Campag. ones on offer make the Zeus and Sugino ones at £10 each seem a positive bargain!
Now where has that empty 7-up bottle gone?

Re:

Update,

Still waiting for new bearings etc.

Because of the difficulty in finding a suitable spanner I decided to make a tool for use with the two pin adjustable cup. Its not the prettiest but I found an old plug socket spanner and ground it down to leave two pins which works just fine. Ditto with the fixed cup, I had an old 30 spanner and just ground it out to 35mm. Happy days!

Now more importantly, it has been said that with some elbow grease I should be able to get the BB thread nice and clean so as to be able to wind the cups in by hand. Well can someone please advise if this is always the case because I have spent hours cleaning with a variety of brushes and lubricants but both cups need a tool to wind then in. They go in OKish but its not a nice and smooth. Should I just accept that I have done the best I can or is there some secret to getting these threads really smooth?

Cheers
Graham

Attachments

• IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    567 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    520.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    503.3 KB · Views: 145
I knew there was a use for those (otherwise useless) plug spanners. Well done!
What are you going to use for the lock ring?

Back