Early Burlite Brake Info?

Wyvernrh

Retro Newbie
I'm engaged in some component shuffling across the collection at the moment and I came across this pair of early Burlite centrepulls in the spare brakes box. Now, while I can find a little info and a couple of photos across the Web I cannot find any pictures of them fitted to a bike or any definite info on their time period (just post WWII?) or how widely they were used (only in the UK?).

I'd like to use them on one of my bikes, but I would prefer them to be on an appropriate frame.

So, has anybody found any images of them fitted to a bike or any extra info/catalog mention that isn't on the ClassicLightweights webpage?

Richard
Burlite Brakes.jpg

Not seen these before but I’m familiar with bikes and components from the late 30s into the 50s. I’m definitely of the same opinion as Peter Underwood in the Classic Lightweights article that these look like a pre-war design that were being made after the war. Side-pull calliper brakes were around, but the design had not really been settled on by that point and manufacturers were still experimenting. Think Resilion brakes.

There aren’t a lot of pre-war components made in aluminium. The technology wasn’t there to make the components strong enough and that’s why most pre-war stuff is steel. So I would say these probably are post-war as that’s when the materials technology and manufacturing had progressed to the point that aluminium components were possible.

So in my opinion, if you had a later 30s lightweight frame with these on, they’d not be out of place because you’d have an early bike dressed in later parts. Mid to late 40s is the era they’d have been available so any lightweight from then is appropriate. But I think if you put them on a 50s frame they’d be out of place because they’re effectively an out-of-date component for that era frame.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info - much appreciated!
I take your point on the time scales when they may have been used but I would suggest, given the economic situation in 1950's Britain (especially the early part of the decade), that folk did not discard functional kit for new stuff very easily and quality parts would continue in use well after they were superseded in the shops. Also, Bike parts were expensive relative to wages and not always easily available.
Conversations with my uncles and older brother seem to infer that at this time it was common to buy a new frame (no purchase tax!) and transfer all the bits you could from the old bike, upgrading bits if and when you could afford it. This meant quality parts like hubs, brakes and derailleurs survived in use in the real world long after they might be considered 'out of date' by elite riders.
Some of the old blokes I cycled with in the CTC in the 1970's were still running B&W alloy/steel hubs (with modern alloy rims), GB alloy stems and Williams steel chainsets - but they had upgraded to 'modern' derailleurs and freewheels (normally SunTour) and 'modern' brakes (often Weinmann).

Back