Bontrager Race Lite rebuild, interesting history...

Thought I'd move this part of the conversation over here rather than my own thread.

Can't wait to see how this bike and that fork come out.

Are you set on running the mag21 for any other reason than the Paul Willerton inspiration? Why not the later bonty crown judy? Asking only because I made the same choice purely for aesthetics. Cool his looks an SL TI with the bontrager crown, think it was a crown swap or that thing has an alloy steerer and all the other light stuff going on?

Other fork related question, did the mag 21 require or benefit from anything specific in the front hub department?

Everything benjabbi said is correct, and you won't be able to thread an aluminum steerer (which explains why I'm threadless on mine).

I know a lot of people talk a lot about the slight differences in geometry afforded by the suspension corrected vs non Bonty frames and RS crowns. But I grew up riding all the gnarly twisty single track in the Santa Cruz Mtns and also used my Bonty on similarly gnarly ST in North Carolina, and I also used to race XC. And my personal opinion is that the differences are very subtle and not worth the hype. So I'd determine what you want with the fork at this point about aesthetics and whether or not your build is geared towards having everything Bonty, including the crown. I wouldn't be so married to the Bonty crown unless it is crucial to your build for some reason.

As for me, I've always been obsessed with the shiny gold SL, no matter what bike it is on. So I'm striving for that look, is all. 😁

I've only ridden a Judy once (on a friend's bike bitd). I just am used to the Mags, and I have all the tools and experience with them, and also the SL gold fetish! Nothing against Judy's, I should probably try them more, but not for this build.

A fine reason !

So I sort of vaguely remembered the name Willerton and then last night when re-watching the KB / Mission Workshop talk he showed up!

I don't know if you've seen the talk, PW comes in around here

Then I found some radavist shots of the bike that has so inspired yours. . . hope it's alright for me to drop them here.

Bontrager_MissionWorkshop-pete_willertons_bike_01.jpg

Bontrager_MissionWorkshop-pete_willertons_bike_02.jpg

Bontrager_MissionWorkshop-pete_willertons_bike_03.jpg

tl;dr

Shouldn't, if the build is late 90's-early 00's, the wheels should be Chris King Racelite.

A fine reason !

So I sort of vaguely remembered the name Willerton and then last night when re-watching the KB / Mission Workshop talk he showed up!

Then I found some radavist shots of the bike that has so inspired yours. . . hope it's alright for me to drop them here.

View attachment 656139

View attachment 656140

View attachment 656141
Cool photos and footage, thanks for sharing! I won't be duplicating Willerton's bike exactly, because I mainly just admired the SL's with the orange frame.

Did you buy your frame from a guy in Martinez?

Cool photos and footage, thanks for sharing! I won't be duplicating Willerton's bike exactly, because I mainly just admired the SL's with the orange frame.

Did you buy your frame from a guy in Martinez?
Sure, thanks for sending me deeper down this hole!

I wish there was a good shot of his brake booster. Do you know what he's running? Looks cool.

My frame came from the Bay Area ya, was it yours at one point?

A fine reason !

View attachment 656139

View attachment 656140

View attachment 656141
Nice bike...cool crankset,same forks I'm going to be using on mine including bontrager fork crown. You into vintage motocross as well? Couldn't help but to notice the two pics of the CZ on the wall. Is that you? Going to guess 75/76

Attachments

• 52132845545_ea1cbf5cb3_b.jpg
    52132845545_ea1cbf5cb3_b.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 52132591259_3c405cd557_b.jpg
    52132591259_3c405cd557_b.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 5
A fine reason !

View attachment 656139

View attachment 656140

View attachment 656141

Nice bike...cool crankset,same forks I'm going to be using on mine including bontrager fork crown. You into vintage motocross as well? Couldn't help but to notice the two pics of the CZ on the wall. Is that you? Going to guess 75/76
Ooops....those pics were part of the video

Back