Bontrager Race Lite rebuild, interesting history...

OK, so took a little break from the Bonty but have now regrouped and am back tackling the Mag 21 SL lowers. I wasn't tremendously happy with the previous attempts at getting Mirror Chrome finish I was after, so I stripped down the fork legs again to bare magnesium and have since procured another set of Mag 21s so I have 4 legs going at once. I figure if I botch one of the the sets, I'll have the other to fall back on. If I do well on both, I'll have 2 Mag 21 SL Ti's!

My thinking now is that part of the difficulty in achieving the right finish was that I didn't bother priming the legs first. So, I'm trying the following sequence, using the following products:

1. Once the old paint is stripped, clean/degrease with acetone and immediately apply self-etching primer. I used Rustoleum brand auto primer in grey.
2. Wet sand to 600 grit to make sure primed surface is smooth, then apply liberal coatings of Ace brand Premium gloss enamel in black. (Ace is just a generic hardware store in the U.S. that makes knock-offs of the proprietary brands like Rustoleum.) I applied many coats, which actually gave the forks a decent gloss (see pics below).
3. Let cure for at least 2 days, then apply liberal coats of Ace Premium Gloss Enamel clear coat. Just as with comments I've seen for users of 2K clear coats, I went very heavy with the clear coat which allowed the enamel to anneal while drying, smoothing out all the irregularities. I found going too light left the "orange-peel" effect.
4. Let cure for at least 2 days, then apply one liberal coating of Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome. Once dry, buff with a microfiber cloth.

Here's the product listing (in order of application from left to right):

IMG_20220327_123836_4.jpg

Here's the legs after primer:

IMG_20220312_171207_8.jpg

Here's the legs after gloss black enamel and clear coat enamel. Photos make it look like the legs are scuffed, but they're not, I guess it just caught the light that way, or it is dust (it was breezy when I took the pics, lots of pollen in the air).

IMG_20220326_125003_0.jpg IMG_20220326_124955_2.jpg

And here are the legs after Mirror Chrome application and hand buffed with a microfiber cloth:

IMG_20220327_120232_2.jpg

I'm contemplating hitting the legs with another coating of clear coat before I consider getting the gold tinted coating on. I'm doing trials with Gordon Tarpley's usage of Liquitex Acrylic high gloss varnish mixed with yellow and red food coloring, on clear plastic containers. It goes on with a brush, and I've been using a high quality Purdy nylon/polyester brush, but it still leaves streaks and bubbles, and the coloring isn't quite right. So I'll try using my air brush with this mixture on test objects next, but if that doesn't work I'll move on to trying Kustom Canz candy lacquer in either yellow or gold. And if that doesn't work, it will be time to try mixing up a batch of SEM California Gold. Soon as the weather settles down over here, I'll be back at it posting more results.

Stunning attention to detail. I’d have had them powdered orange weeks ago and moved on with life!

Can’t wait to see them finished!
Thanks! Believe me, I've certainly thought about powdering them "just orange" to match the bike. But I'm still succumbed to the illness, so on I go...🙄

I have a shot at some rigid Bonty forks. But the legs have dropouts out in front of the leg centerline, and the brake bosses are not on lugs but welded to the legs. Ok Bonty afficionados, is this legit? @pw_pw_la , @benjabbi , @slackboy and others, help me out here?

Sorry for not replying earlier. Something to do with timezones and a 450 mile drive.

Yes, sounds like a earlier race fork with similar legs to the switchblade that range licensed from bontrager.

Been meaning to do a build thread (several, actually, but this will be the first) on this fantastic forum, so here goes...

I grew up in the Santa Cruz Mountains of CA, home of many great frame builders, including the legend, Keith, himself. Of course, as a kid, I could never afford a Bontrager, so never got to experience why everyone made such a big deal about them until, as a young adult, my brother came across a Race Lite frame. So here's how this came to be...

My brother was given the frame by the guys that worked out of the cannery shop with Keith, with whom he was friends. The frameset was welded up just around the time that Trek bought Bontrager, and the shop guys were running around squirreling up the tubing and lugs and welding some of them up and giving them to friends before Trek took over. My brother was now the proud owner of a Race Lite frame, one of the last to come out of the cannery shop (perhaps illegitimately!). It's an interesting mix: mitered head tube, but single piece seat stays, top pull front derailleur with no cable roller. He was also given a Bontrager Composite rigid fork (!!), one of the ones that has the "smokey chrome" finished legs but was interestingly outfitted with a steel 1 1/8" steerer tube (aftermarket swap?). This was around the mid to late 90s.

My brother held on to the frame and fork for several years, never building it. Being the overly generous and benevolent brother that he is, in the early 2000s he gave me both! At this point, I was in grad school and getting very strong riding a friend's rigid single speed in the mountains of North Carolina. So soon as I received it I built it up as a single-speed with a Surly Singleator tensioner. My friend, who owned the aforementioned single speed, was quite close to a Columbian frame builder named Duarte (the same make of the single speed I was borrowing from him). He shipped my Bonty fork to Columbia and had Duarte machine an internally-butted aluminum 1" steerer, which made this fork even more fantastic. At this time, I was both mechanically and nostalgically challenged, so although I could build up the bike, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to properly install v-brakes on the Bonty fork...they just weren't lining up correctly with the rims. Given that v-brakes were still the latest and greatest in the late 90s and early 2000s, I wasn't about to backstep into cantilevers, and couldn't afford more parts. So, I foolishly sold the Bonty fork. I got a good price, but I obviously am still kicking myself.

I built up the bike with a Mag 21 SL Ti, which I painted white to match the frame (see below). (The Mag suffered from the same cancer of the lower legs, and I tried using Mag wheel tinted clear coat, but it came out too orange...)

View attachment 592106

You can see the misplaced purple ano parts (I used what I had at the time). Today, even the Mag 21's are gone and the frame is totally dismantled, and has been for at least 12 years (adulthood and kids led to this, in part...). But now, I'm ready to rebuild, with some new inspiration. I've always drooled over the orange Paul Willerton Race Lite:

View attachment 592107

Here's what the frame looks like now:

View attachment 592108

Hard to tell from the photo, but the paint and decals are tired, and I never liked the white.

So here are my goals:
1. Repaint in Bontrager Orange (anyone know what the RAL color code is?). Apply the black/white/silver decal panels that came with the orange.
2. My goal is NOT to do a catalog build. I'll have lots of Bonty brand parts, no purple ano or glitz (not appropriate for a Bonty). It's not important to me to duplicate the catalog, and in fact I'm wrestling with XT 735 groupo versus an XTR M950 groupset, of which I have parts for both. I'm leaning towards M950...I want to reserve my 735 gear for another build, and the 950 dark grey will look good with the orange.
3. I'm not intending a perfectly period correct build. It will have a mix of parts from the 90s and very early 2000s...nothing modern, but not all gear from a 1-2 year production window, so to speak.
4. Hopefully to whet your appetite, I have a lot of somewhat unique Bontrager parts to slap on this, that I feel will make it special.
5. It will no longer be a single speed....I intend to ride this, and I'm not in single speed shape any longer!
6. It will have a fully restored Mag 21 SL Ti, a fork I have recently acquired, but which will require me to figure out how to refinish the legs in high gloss gold, like the original. No more painted lowers....

I will have the frame back from the powder coater in about 1-2 weeks. I've found an orange, but have no idea if it is the same RAL code as was originally used. If you know it, let me know ASAP so I can have it painted corectly! Otherwise, it will be close, but perhaps not 100% faithful to the original color.

Stay tuned...
Your frame a large or medium?

Your frame a large or medium?
I believe it would be a medium, since the seat tube measures about 16-17 inches. But I'd have to measure and compare with the old literature or gospel to know for sure. Some grand ol' master on here probably knows off the top of their head.

Back