Bontrager Race '91 - Build Thread

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
So, do I need glasses, or do you just need to start uploading full-sized photos mate!?

(Colourblindness doesn't help much in these matters, either.)

As for the AC skewer: I hadn't thought of it as anything other than just black-black before, but let me pull it out in the morning (get your minds out of the gutter) and take a closer look.

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Carge - this may affect your thinking, it may not. When the bike was built, it was assembled in California. It was first built with Mag20s. In England, I played with the Mag20s and was very unhappy with them, and at the time wanted to use the bike on road, not off. So in the absence of Bontrager forks, I installed some Pace RC30s - Reynolds legs in black - which near as dammit replicated the Bontrager forks. That's the history...maybe that points to the Mag21s....(but personally I think that the Manitous look really nice....)

Carge

Retrobike Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I get the rigid fork thing - but I'm not feeling it for the Bonty. It will be run off-road, albeit in a manner appropriate to it's age - so a bit of boing with be fitted. Also, having gone and got a Bontrager-crowned set of Mag21 - seems daft not to give 'em a go.
This is probably sacrilege to some, but SlackBoys Bonty looks better with the Judys - IMHO.