Bontrager Race '91 - Build Thread

So, do I need glasses, or do you just need to start uploading full-sized photos mate!?

(Colourblindness doesn't help much in these matters, either.)

As for the AC skewer: I hadn't thought of it as anything other than just black-black before, but let me pull it out in the morning (get your minds out of the gutter) and take a closer look.

Carge - this may affect your thinking, it may not. When the bike was built, it was assembled in California. It was first built with Mag20s. In England, I played with the Mag20s and was very unhappy with them, and at the time wanted to use the bike on road, not off. So in the absence of Bontrager forks, I installed some Pace RC30s - Reynolds legs in black - which near as dammit replicated the Bontrager forks. That's the history...maybe that points to the Mag21s....(but personally I think that the Manitous look really nice....)

I get the rigid fork thing - but I'm not feeling it for the Bonty. It will be run off-road, albeit in a manner appropriate to it's age - so a bit of boing with be fitted. Also, having gone and got a Bontrager-crowned set of Mag21 - seems daft not to give 'em a go.
This is probably sacrilege to some, but SlackBoys Bonty looks better with the Judys - IMHO.

So, having had a bit of a fettle today - I mounted the XTR Brifters - and some pedals.....
Not exactly a rush job is it :)

I've scored a NOS American Classic rear QR - and a big thanks to Phil @pw_pw_la for getting things sorted that side of the pond 👍

I have XTR cable outers to go with the M900 kit - but I'm not sure I want to use silver/grey outers against the dark purple frame?
I"m thinking good ole black outer will look much better.
I'm also thinking that I should get some white cable cover, rather than black, to run over the white decal on the top tube.

Does anyone know if I can get dark purple spoke nipples?

Any thoughts?

That reminds me, as soon as I'm back at work after the holiday, I'll pop it in the post now we're done with the Christmas rush!

Ah, don't worry, I won't!

The post office is right next door to work. So first day back, I'll just pop over on my lunch ; )

The Mag21 is what I'm going with - seems daft not to given that they have the Bonty crown.

Back