Blue All-Aluminum Nishiki Alien Timecapsule

incorrigible

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View

Anybody travelling to Indonesia soon?

Looks to be all original except for the pedals. Although it's listed as NOS, I see a bit of brake shoe rub on the rear rim.

IMHO, such a situation calls for a careful inspection of the frame. In my experience over the past dozen years or so, 90% of these aluminum Aliens (as well as the Alien ACXs) that show up for sale are already cracked (see my rant somewhere on here). When I see one that's this nice, it's almost a sure thing that it cracked early in its life and was parked, hence the almost unused appearance.

At about $1k, however, I think it's a fair value for all the shiny new parts.

Blue Alien 1.jpg Blue Alien 2.jpg Blue Alien 4.jpg Blue Alien 5.jpg Blue Alien 3.jpg

Inspiration to get mine welded, painted and built!

Very nice condition... too spicy for my budget, and also a bit too far away. 🤣

Inspiration to get mine welded, painted and built!
@ Bike Hoarder,
Some questions:
If you repair it to original condition, what's to prevent it from cracking again?
Can it be reinforced without changing the original design?
I believe @danson67 could shed some light on this as well.
It would be great to breathe some new life into these old aluminum Nishikis versus relegating them to wall art.

@incorrigible some great questions!

I've spoken to @danson67 a while back about my Alien, I believe he is the man for the job. Unfortunately it is way down my list of things to get done at the moment. Mine is headtube, so careful headset cup installation is the order of the day. I suppose it could be reinforced, yes it would change the look, but maybe better that than never turn its wheels again in its natural environment? Am I likely though to take it to a trail centre and beast it, probably not, would l ride it on fire trails and canal towpaths? More likely these days, and therefore less likely to crack in any other places? I am fortunate that i have other bikes to ride, less vulnerable, less delicate, ones i care less about for more aggresive off road riding. It will live again though, determined to complete!

Latest posts

Back