90s (7spd) frame and new wheels

mjoppers

Retro Newbie
Morning,

I have my eye on a 97 Kona Koa to convert to rigid single speed. This is my first build project though so I want to be sure what my wheel options are before I commit.

If the spacing between the drop outs is currently for 7 speed, what are my options for single speed? Do I have to look for old wheels/have limited choice on new wheels on a 7 speed hub or pay considerably for a new wheel build?

Any advice greatly appreciated and please excuse any unintentional ignorance. As I say, this is my first build and first post.

Thanks in advance.

Re:

Hello and welcome,

The 1997 Kona Koa has a 135mm rear dropout O.L.D. (Over Locknut Dimension) so you have vast choice of wheels that you can use.

Someone on here will be able to give you better advice than me with regards to Single Speed conversion. From my limited experience, it is just a case of slipping a few spacers over the Freehub Body with a Rear Sprocket slipped in between to get the best Chainline with whatever Crank profile you have.

Pip

Re:

Thanks Pip - both for the welcome and the advice.

Well, that's fantastic news all round then and my decision made!

Much appreciated. Matthew.

Hi Matthew.. Pip has summed it up really- just wanted to say On One Bikes often have bargains in the single speed conversion dept. As he said, it is good practice to get the chainline right, everything will run better and wear less. Using the right spacers on the freehub should help achieve that easily compared to swapping out bottom brackets. Presume you're using something to tension the chain- horizontal dropouts are neater, and save weight though..
Oh, and welcome!

Re:

Thanks very much for the tip. I'll be heading there for some bars anyway so sounds good.

All help much appreciated. Excited about the build now!

Thanks.

Superstar are worth looking at for spacers too (nice coloured ones!)

If you can get a wide based sprocket, it'll dig in less on allow free-hub bodies (not really a problem on steel).

A good chain-line is important. The ring can usually sit on either side of the crank tabs, and most spacer kits have a range of sizes, allowing you to get everything lined up nicely.

Where do you intend to ride it? I go for much lower than the suggested 2:1 starting point for gearing if I intend to ride it in proper hills. My Muni-mula is currently rocking a 30 tooth ring, and a 20 tooth sprocket- that's about right for getting up a surprising amount of hills, and low enough to pop decent wheelies on it. My other current SS is 32/22 I think. Downhill is about pumping and aero tucks rather than pedalling, but I mainly ride in Sheffield or the Peak district, so I don't need to worry about flat much.

Somewhere flatter I'd go for a higher gear, as more time would be spent pedalling on the flat (don't have much flat - everything is up or down!)

Si F

As the others have said, dead easy. I’ve got an OnZa kit on my Orange P7 single speed. Take a look in my sig below for more details.

Good luck with the build.

Re:

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm jealous of the majority of you as I live in East Anglia - not much in the way of hills (or climbs), so mostly burning round woods, country paths, etc. As such, probably on the higher side on the gearing.

I like the look of the range of smaller spacers of that onza one so could be a winner. Thanks again for all of your help everyone. You've been brilliant!

That's all good then.. I'm an East Anglian too- there are plenty of hills round here, I'm near Colchester in the Colne valley.. For what it's worth, and I'm an old geezer (63), I find 32-21or23 about right for single speed, I can pedal up my local hills in the saddle anyway..
All the best..

Latest posts

Back