Retro Trek mtb 26inch wheels .... where to find/ what to replace with

You might turn up a secondhand wheel, you could use this front one to swap with it maybe if number of spokes etc is correct?

There's a rim in Europe at a quick glance too

Thanks. Great spot particularly that front, cheers.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've got a set of 26" wheelset disc wheelset - Alex rims on no-name hubs that you can have for cheap if you like.

sounds like maybe the new rear tyre is a bit wider than the last one?
Bang on. The old rear was 2.20 its now 2.25 so not much in it. The way the wheel has been trued means it doesnt sit in the centre (cant remember the term for that) hence the rub when the weight goes through it/ tyre is clogged up. I'll dm you about the wheelset. Thanks.

If that were mine, first check would be how straight it runs. A dent in the rim doesn't always mean the wheel is not true.

If it's fairly true, I'd be tempted to try and straighten the dent out a bit as suggested. Don't over do it and take it slow and steady to avoid damaging or splitting the rim. Basically gentle, small steps rather than one big movement to straighten.

If the wheel is fairly true, the rubbing may be down to the tyre being a bit too wide for the frame, or even not sitting straight in the drop outs.

Replacement wheel wise, there are plenty of used and decent sets out there. I've got a few lurking in the garage that may be surplus.

If that were mine, first check would be how straight it runs. A dent in the rim doesn't always mean the wheel is not true.

If it's fairly true, I'd be tempted to try and straighten the dent out a bit as suggested. Don't over do it and take it slow and steady to avoid damaging or splitting the rim. Basically gentle, small steps rather than one big movement to straighten.

If the wheel is fairly true, the rubbing may be down to the tyre being a bit too wide for the frame, or even not sitting straight in the drop outs.

Replacement wheel wise, there are plenty of used and decent sets out there. I've got a few lurking in the garage that may be surplus.
Thanks. Its got a bit of a kick to it but I fancy giving the straightening a go so will try that. Ive been told its as good as it will get but its got to be worth a try. I'll drop you a line re: the wheels. Cheers

Latest posts

Back