Wheel Lacing Patterns - 28h/32h Ritchey P-21 ProElite Wheels

7Speed

Retro Guru
Hi All - I finally managed to get hold of 32h and 28h Ritchey Vantage Pro Rims for my '93 Ritchey P-21 build. The original '93 spec wheels were:
FRONT: Ultegra 600 28h hub & vantage pro rim
REAR: XT m732 32h hub & vantage pro rim
Does anyone have any advice on lacing patterns for the wheels? Looking back at photos it looks like the original ProElite wheels (built by Wheelsmith in US?) early 90s P-21s came with were 2-cross laced - but it's really difficult to tell with my untrained eye and the grainy photos.
My natural instinct would be to go with 3-cross lacing on the rear (15G butted 270mm spokes) and 2-cross on the front (15G butted 263mm spokes).
Anyone on the forum have some expert advice or experience to share as to what the original ProElite wheel lacing pattern was (if anyone has some and can take a look?) or what would work best? I had no idea it would be so complicated...
7 Speed

I got a reply back from Wheelsmith - front and back wheels on the ProElite were apparently 2-cross lacing - but they had no tech specifications still available so a little uncertain.
If anyone knows differently please drop a reply - I am likely to get the wheels built as soon as the front rim arrives from US and not making the mistake now will save me a lot of money and trouble later! 7Speed

I looked at those pictures and I couldn’t make it out on the back - but then I haven’t ever built a wheel. I have reached out. The wheelsmith guys were not certain on both being 2 cross. I like the idea of 3-cross back and 2 cross front. Thanks Swanny

Back