Spoks too long/sticking out after wheel building?!?

Logically, mathematically, if same length spokes and travel same distance from rim to hub then cannot suddenly grow 5mm. The extra protrusion can only be the result of different lacing. I suspect to do with the "twisting" of the hub to gain tension during the build.
A few years since I have built complete wheels so I may be wrong! But the logic surely can't be.

Given the length out of the nipples you are, im surprised none have bottomed out on the thread! Is the wheel tight and true?
Yes, the whell is tight and true. Not a single wobbling.
I'll try 4x cross to see if works, if not I'll order shorter spokes

Did you try 4X, I missed the picture above, but it does collaborate with my best guess of reading the picture.

View attachment 792197
4X isn't common as they often hit the spoke head. But it would take of 5mm from each spoke easily.

Proper measure your ERD if you're going to buy some more, remember to take off the screw slot height to, it's a pain when it sits in there.
For you slightly shower is better than long, since anything exposed will pole into the inner tube.
Thanks.
I'll try 4x cross to see if works, if not I'll order shorter spokes 265mm or so

If all the spokes have the same amount sticking out, wheels are dished and trued correctly, then the lacing is correct. I doubt very much that the original wheel would have been 4x, also it looks like the new spokes are aligned with the wear at the flange holes from the previous build which would seem to confirm 3x. If all spokes are the same length out of the nipple then it's not a hub twist issue either. If you don't twist the hub the correct amount when threading the first crossed spokes, it is very obvious when you get to the last ones and probably impossible to thread the final spokes into the nipples. Easiest solution is to take them apart, double check rim and hub dimensions and then calculate the correct spoke length. In theory you can use the old spoke measurements, but the more reliable way is to measure and calculate, especially if you are changing spokes and nipples and using a different make or model.

If all the spokes have the same amount sticking out, wheels are dished and trued correctly, then the lacing is correct. I doubt very much that the original wheel would have been 4x, also it looks like the new spokes are aligned with the wear at the flange holes from the previous build which would seem to confirm 3x. If all spokes are the same length out of the nipple then it's not a hub twist issue either. If you don't twist the hub the correct amount when threading the first crossed spokes, it is very obvious when you get to the last ones and probably impossible to thread the final spokes into the nipples. Easiest solution is to take them apart, double check rim and hub dimensions and then calculate the correct spoke length. In theory you can use the old spoke measurements, but the more reliable way is to measure and calculate, especially if you are changing spokes and nipples and using a different make or model.
Hi, thanks for replying.
Thisis what gets me baffled:
I used same hub and rim/whell.
All 36 old spokes are same lenght as new ones 270mm.
I measured one by one.
All 36 nipples have same depth threads and same depth.
Wheel was disassembled at least 4 times and reassembled using different methods,mainly tutorials from youtube usim 3x Cross.
And ALL spokes tight as same tension as my other bikes and STILL are sticking out by 5/6 mm!!!!!
Whell is true and straight!!!
Even my mate,came around and he knows about bikes said wtf is going on?? Ha ha.
Did the guys at factory used voodoo magic or something to make the extra 6mm of the spoke dissappear??
I'm gonna try 4x cross but I'm very sure whell was 3x times cross...
If doesn't work, I'll have to order 265mm spokes and scratch my head on why original spokes lenght didn't fit for the rest of my life..

Just for fun / to rule out witchcraft - you could rebuild it with the old spokes.
Have you or any riding buddies not got a single photo showing any part of the wheel of this bike at all?

Just for fun / to rule out witchcraft - you could rebuild it with the old spokes.
Have you or any riding buddies not got a single photo showing any part of the wheel of this bike at all?
Nope no photos.. The bike is a

Claud Butler Oracle 92/3 shimano 200 GS groupset.this is a stock photo. Cant really see very well the spoke pattern

Attachments

• 558518954_5188e995f2_b.jpg
    558518954_5188e995f2_b.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 9
Back