26" ride on a roadie ride?

There‘s something about the no-nonsense low-grade-snidery of their comms that makes me want to bust out an old clunker and do it anyway, on the same day, same route with a bold “26” displayed instead of an official ’race’ number. What do you get for the 95 notes entry fee anyway?

A push off at the start to help you get clipped in, a spare 700 x 23c inner-tube, and a luke warm milky tea at the finish?

Compact frame too, now a few years on I reckon it will kill my calcifying lower back!
This will make precisely zero difference, saddle to bottom bracket and bars should be almost exactly the same no matter what the frame looks like

having completed this distance (or close) a few times I'd say you are on to a hiding to hell on a MTB of any kind.
I did the TPT, Hull to Warrington, which needs offroad (this was before gravel was a thing), it was hard work and I'm glad of the bench I slept on.
I've also done the distance on road bikes countless times as well as riding both hardknott and wynrose on long rides (but not that long, more like 50-70 miles), no way would I have considered it on a MTB, they are big (BIG) climbs that are not easy, even on correctly geared, big hooped bikes.

I've never done it on a organised ride (because the idea of paying to ride my bike upsets me), but I can guess their reasoning behind limiting what you ride (I drove the paddy wagon for one once, most of those collected were due to fitness rather than mechanical). it's a hard hard ride that shouldn't be taken lightly and you will find that bits of you that you didn't know you used will be hurting by the end (for me it's shoulders and neck, which is something I can work on with some minor weight training).

There‘s something about the no-nonsense low-grade-snidery of their comms that makes me want to bust out an old clunker and do it anyway, on the same day, same route with a bold “26” displayed instead of an official ’race’ number...

I'm with you there! Single-speed of course 😉

Well, all academic now - just read the not so small print...!

Bikes on the ride​

The following bikes are NOT allowed to take part in this event

• 26″ or small wheel (MTB’s)
  • Bikes fitted with tri-bars
  • Electric bikes
  • Single speed bikes
In addition Hybrid bikes are not generally allowed. If you think you should be exempt you should contact us before entering, if having entered we will not make any exception to requests less than 2 months prior to the event. To be clear if the reason for using the bike is “its the only bike I have” or “we are doing it for charity”, it will be refused. Any persons looking for an exception will have to provide evidence of a 100 mile+ ride on the bike in question. WE would regard any bike without drop handlebars as in the hybrid bike category. Please do not make assumptions, if in doubt contact us for clarity

Let Open Cycling set you on your journey across the North of England!

As long as its on a a very specific type of bicycle.

This is why I dislike organised rides

And at £95 per rider, I'd tell them to **** right off

The distance and difficulty deffo shouldn’t be underestimated, but I can’t help but thinking that the correct response to that is suppleness and fitness and food rather than wheelsize and gearing.

I can feel a challenge coming on: I’ve got an old Cannondale frame which is probably too small for me. Time to turn it into a Cunningham style drop bar thingy for heroic rides like these and see if I can get anywhere near the distance/climbing in a day ride. (And while single speed is obvs the way to go, I’m going to cheat and go 3x1) ;)

I rode across wales and Herefordshire and spent less than that on camping for four nights. Do it unsupported in your own time with your buddy if you must.

I rode across wales and Herefordshire and spent less than that on camping for four nights. Do it unsupported in your own time with your buddy if you must.
This.
It's so much more fun.
I have at least 1 weekend planned in the peak district this year doing just this.
and another one were one of the guys from our Derby office is meeting me half way and we are going off on an adventure to find the source of the Mersey. for no real reason but that last time he did it, he found the source of the trent.
I should probably tell him about this plan at some point.
:)

This.
It's so much more fun.
I have at least 1 weekend planned in the peak district this year doing just this.
and another one were one of the guys from our Derby office is meeting me half way and we are going off on an adventure to find the source of the Mersey. for no real reason but that last time he did it, he found the source of the trent.
I should probably tell him about this plan at some point.
:)

:) It's a bastard climb up Biddulph Moor. I know it well. Too well having delivered newspapers up there as a youth.

Back