26" ride on a roadie ride?

I love the UKness of this conversation! Now I want to try the Coast to Coast just to get a gulp of the country, but really, does anyone have that much fun riding 150 miles (Brevet riders excluded)? I love biking, but after about 100 miles I'm ready to go on about my day and do something different. Sure, I could do the other 50, but is it going to be fun? There's plenty of hard biking challenges that don't last for 10 plus hrs. I did a beer relay running race a couple times, but I realized that it was making beer not fun, and that's messed up so I don't do it anymore. All to say, you've definitely made the right choice, whatever it is.

I love the UKness of this conversation! Now I want to try the Coast to Coast just to get a gulp of the country, but really, does anyone have that much fun riding 150 miles (Brevet riders excluded)? I love biking, but after about 100 miles I'm ready to go on about my day and do something different. Sure, I could do the other 50, but is it going to be fun? There's plenty of hard biking challenges that don't last for 10 plus hrs. I did a beer relay running race a couple times, but I realized that it was making beer not fun, and that's messed up so I don't do it anymore. All to say, you've definitely made the right choice, whatever it is.

Seven pages in, hell we can afford to go off-topic and divulge. It is the weekend after all, the fire is roaring and wine is flowing.

What does "UKness" equate to for you? Just curious, you don't need to answer if you don't want.

Otherwise, agree, there comes a point in time/life where investment on all sorts of vain fronts doesn't compare to the simple please of a nice coffee and a session in the man-cave with a 32mm spanner or an aimless tootle about with the wind in your hair. Nothing to prove.

Seven pages in, hell we can afford to go off-topic and divulge. It is the weekend after all, the fire is roaring and wine is flowing.

What does "UKness" equate to for you? Just curious, you don't need to answer if you don't want.

Otherwise, agree, there comes a point in time/life where investment on all sorts of vain fronts doesn't compare to the simple please of a nice coffee and a session in the man-cave with a 32mm spanner or an aimless tootle about with the wind in your hair. Nothing to prove.
Hey! After seeing the response from the big cheese, I re-read what I wrote. I was being sincere and not intending any offense, but I can see how I was maybe a little too off the cuff. I've been reading posts and looking at bikes on this site for almost 10 years. I really enjoy the friendly banter and as an American I find the general attitude and language of the Brits (I'm not sure how to accurately discern between the Irish and the Scottish folks, does Brits cover everybody?) makes this site unique and really fun. I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's take on the proposed scenario. No sarcasm. I really would like to do the Coast to Coast as it would be a great way to see the country (I've only ever been to London), but I probably wouldn't make it to the finish.

What I was attempting to say was that sometimes, for me, long distances don't equate to more fun or even more achievement. For me it's too much of a good thing, like when I tried to combine drinking beer and running. The beer did not increase the fun factor, it just made me not want to drink beer, and that's no fun. I think whatever the OP decides to do for his ride will turn out great, no wrong decisions if you end up on a bike (for the most part).

Apologies for ruffling feathers, I'll do more thinking before typing in the future.

Don't think you ruffled any feathers.

About 10 years or so ago I was still into building up for at least one mega mile munching epic per year. Good to focus the mind and body and all that, but I was missing the time to stop and properly admire the scenery and various sights. I'm of the view now it's best not to be too pedantic about the bike, take the time, and keep enough fuel in the tank for another day.

Back