26” Endurance Ride Cunningdale build.

Covid interuptus means I had to pull out of riding this properly last week, but have had some time to play with that great gear calculator site: looks like 16 or 17 x 38 as the main gear will be about right for 15mph.

Its also got me thinking about cadence like a lycraboi: apparently 100 per min is optimal:

Spinnnn...

Reckon I’m more of a 75er. Need to measure it though.

It would be great to get rid of the granny ring to save a bit more weight: I’m scared of those Lakeland hills though.

I think weight is important for for this one: on a tourer I’be be less fussed; but fast over hills makes it more important.

Yesterday I had my 1986 Cannondale sm500 26x26 frameset stolen, it travelled from the west coast to the east coast of the USA, across the Atlantic and up through Europe only for some halfwit Hermes driver to leave it against the wall at the front of the house RIGHT ON THE STREET, he didn't even knock on the door and he ignored the note that said please leave all parcels inside the porch if nobody answers, of course he took his picture and proudly reported the item as 'securely delivered', anyway someone walked off with it. :mad:

That was going to be my attempt at one of these, so back to the drawing board. Still following your thread with interest though 👍

Last edited:
Man that sucks: feel for you. The double roller cam one? What colour : those things are unusual so will look out on Gumtree and the bay in case they try and flip it.

Think its about time we started a class action vs Hermes; they ‘lost’ forks that took me ages to find :mad:

Man that sucks: feel for you. The double roller cam one? What colour : those things are unusual so will look out on Gumtree and the bay in case they try and flip it.

Think its about time we started a class action vs Hermes; they ‘lost’ forks that took me ages to find :mad:
I bought the roller cams separately, but yes it was the frame I intended to put those on. It's red, pic below, probably going to end up dumped somewhere as it's next to useless to anyone except an enthusiast. :(

Life goes on and I have a possible plan B, right now I'm just keen to see what you do with yours 👍

Attachments

• sm500.jpg
    sm500.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 18
Yesterday I had my 1986 Cannondale sm500 26x26 frameset stolen, it travelled from the west coast to the east coast of the USA, across the Atlantic and up through Europe only for some halfwit Hermes driver to leave it against the wall at the front of the house RIGHT ON THE STREET, he didn't even knock on the door and he ignored the note that said please leave all parcels inside the porch if nobody answers, of course he took his picture and proudly reported the item as 'securely delivered', anyway someone walked off with it. :mad:

That was going to be my attempt at one of these, so back to the drawing board. Still following your thread with interest though 👍

What a bunch of @rse!

Hermes cannot be relied upon and employ some really lazy and, quite frankly, dodgy people. It has been highlighted elsewhere just how dodgy they are especially with the auctions they have of the things they haven't been able to deliver yet have very easy to read delivery and returnee addresses, on them. ALWAYS try and avoid them if anything has any real value even if the next option is twice as expensive.

A. Securely delivered

B. Against a wall right on the street

Pick one Hermes.

I bought the roller cams separately, but yes it was the frame I intended to put those on. It's red, pic below, probably going to end up dumped somewhere as it's next to useless to anyone except an enthusiast. :(

Life goes on and I have a possible plan B, right now I'm just keen to see what you do with yours 👍

Dude, what?!

You have got to be kidding? That's absolutely heartbreaking/infuriating.

I'm impressed with how well you seem to be taking it, and, not to rub it in or anything, especially because now I've seen what it was going to be, I'm even more sad/angy/frustrated for you.

I hope the bike gods are somehow smiling down on you and you manage to recover it somehow.

Would surely be the perfect frame for just this type of project...

Covid interuptus means I had to pull out of riding this properly last week, but have had some time to play with that great gear calculator site: looks like 16 or 17 x 38 as the main gear will be about right for 15mph.

Its also got me thinking about cadence like a lycraboi: apparently 100 per min is optimal:

Spinnnn...

Reckon I’m more of a 75er. Need to measure it though.

It would be great to get rid of the granny ring to save a bit more weight: I’m scared of those Lakeland hills though.

I think weight is important for for this one: on a tourer I’be be less fussed; but fast over hills makes it more important.

How goes it with the covid and the project?

Must say that the ‘Rona has set me back a bit, but will be out this weekend by hook or crook.
I’ve cracked an old cassette so have some cog options to play with. Currently loaded with a 17t.

Think this s also a good excuse to get a cadence monitor; I’m assuming I can do it through an iPhone these days, but there seem to be some reasonable cateye type computers available.

Cockpit options too:

297DBE00-84D6-4C4F-B1DC-9176155A59A4.jpeg

Must say that the ‘Rona has set me back a bit, but will be out this weekend by hook or crook.
I’ve cracked an old cassette so have some cog options to play with. Currently loaded with a 17t.

Think this s also a good excuse to get a cadence monitor; I’m assuming I can do it through an iPhone these days, but there seem to be some reasonable cateye type computers available.

Cockpit options too:

View attachment 602705

Glad to hear things are moving ahead and you are recovered/recovering.

I can thoroughly recommend the Cateye Strada Digital Wireless comp. There are different bundles and i got the whole shebang when one popped up on the bay. Speed, cadence, distance and heart rate are available in a neat little unit and the screen is configurable. I have bpm at the top, because old man, and speed and cadence under that metric. I thought the screen might be a bit small but i have found it perfect with an out front mount. The latter is a genuine mount and seems tough as. I cannot comment on the non-cateye items that are for sale. Anyway; I would happily pay proper price in a shop, for one of these comps. It is just the important bells and none of the less important whistles!

I have no connection to Cateye or any partners.

So, still v. Windy hereabouts, but first proper timed ride today. Highly instructive if none too glorious. Strava stats are
32km
442m elevation
19 kmh average. 🤦‍♂️

Learning:

The Spug handles; it’s great downhill despite(?) the high BB. And is comfy. 64kmh top speed today even with low gearing.
I’m running Kenda 24/7 ‘Tinker Juarez’ 2.0 XC tyres, because they‘re quite light and were to hand. And I must say, I’m digging having large volume rubber. Despite being a stiff Alu frame and fork, it’s not harsh even on nasty surfaces. Although I wonder if they were dragging when I was against the wind, as it felt soooo slow.

71208B3D-8035-4A2F-9B55-E88CB6B717A2.jpeg

The gearing is still wrong. I’m trying to do this with a 3x1 setup. This ride was 48/36/26 x 17t flavour. The big ring combo worked well and when it spins out it’s time to freewheel anyway. But the strong headwinds today mocked everything else.
And 26-17 don’t cut it on steep stuff despite a relatively light build: I broke the chain coming up out of Leavening …. And had to push the bloody thing for a bit up out of Thixendale.

So what next? Before giving up on 3x1,I’m going to see if I can find a sweet spot with a wider range up front. Anyone know which front derailleurs have the best capacity? Is a 30t difference possible?

1CDFD260-50FA-4E3B-BEBC-53315061AC09.jpeg

This lot didn’t think much of the Spug or my endeavours, but then again they are the coolest cows out there ….

A1DA58EC-165E-4630-A36A-B96915486649.jpeg

😎🐄

Latest posts

Back