26" ride on a roadie ride?

(
It´s only bicycles...some ride better on asphalt while others on singletrack. it´s 2021 and the old "roadies are bad" tales became irrelevant because gravel and all road bikes go everywhere. Or you can even grab an old 650b french tourer w/ the low trail of MTBs but steep head angle and ride Liege Bastogne Liege. Times have changed.
and some ride equally well (or badly!) on both. It has changed somewhat but I think in two opposite directions. There are more people who just ride (like the old days) don’t care how fast or far, not pressured by marketing etc. Then there’s the road side who often seem to be obsessed by numbers. Just look anywhere and it’s what’s you average, is my average ok, how many miles, how many watts… spending a fortune on the dubious promises of saving time which, even if it translated in to real world performances, the average rider will never see as they’re not doing 40kph+ average. They fall for the marketing and all the paid for reviews aka sponsored by (not that they are limited to road, they’re everywhere these days)

Gravel is a mixed bag as it’s a cross section, some coming from mtb’ing background some from road but for some reason once people are offroad they generally seem more relaxed and friendly.

But that doesn’t alter the fact a good percentage of die-hard roadies still act like they have always done.

MTB does not have any group protocol, so it's not exclusive. Road is full of protocol (for good reason), so it's inclusive by nature.

(

and some ride equally well (or badly!) on both. It has changed somewhat but I think in two opposite directions. There are more people who just ride (like the old days) don’t care how fast or far, not pressured by marketing etc. Then there’s the road side who often seem to be obsessed by numbers. Just look anywhere and it’s what’s you average, is my average ok, how many miles, how many watts… spending a fortune on the dubious promises of saving time which, even if it translated in to real world performances, the average rider will never see as they’re not doing 40kph+ average. They fall for the marketing and all the paid for reviews aka sponsored by (not that they are limited to road, they’re everywhere these days)

Gravel is a mixed bag as it’s a cross section, some coming from mtb’ing background some from road but for some reason once people are offroad they generally seem more relaxed and friendly.

But that doesn’t alter the fact a good percentage of die-hard roadies still act like they have always done.
Quit the prejudice against road riding: it´s just as exhilarating as good singletrack. Loads of people riding alone on old bikes just for the smooth pedaling and cornering at speed. Try it... you may love it.

MTB does not have any group protocol, so it's not exclusive. Road is full of protocol (for good reason), so it's inclusive by nature.
If you ride on a peloton, sure... but you can ride alone, climb mountains, commute fast and all is done w/ no protocol. Otoh road bike geometry and tech reached perfection 50yrs ago: you can grab a 70s road bike w/ tubular wheels and ride as smooth as it can be. MTBs are toys next to a Eddy Merckx, De Rosa or Colnago road bike.

If you ride on a peloton, sure... but you can ride alone, climb mountains, commute fast and all is done w/ no protocol. Otoh road bike geometry and tech reached perfection 50yrs ago: you can grab a 70s road bike w/ tubular wheels and ride as smooth as it can be. MTBs are toys next to a Eddy Merckx, De Rosa or Colnago road bike.
That sounds like pesky roadie talk to me!

Getting a bit divided in here! Although it appears to me that the nature of road riding and particularly eventy type riding lends itself to focus on data, %s, and exclusivity don't think it's a specifically road thing - you get a fair few MTBers wedded to their Strava/Garmin etc., cliquey passive-aggresive group riding/pacing and a pretty long way up their own backsides - especially round here in the SE. Seems to me both mainstream/modern disciplines are dominated by perspectives of/marketing to/kit prices only for the affluent - with all the character and interest biases that brings to the riding itself....

Again, thanks all - had a real education through all your comments. Combined with the bonkers modern road bike sizing chat over in 1998+, it's cooled me right off this!

I think sum total for me is that a) this kind of endurance ride is clearly in a different orbit from the occassional rock up to a sportive for sh!ts and giggles type misadventure I've taken on before; b) don't have the energy or life situation to get a proper road ride sourced and sorted let alone put in the miles needed to build up to this - definitely see the appeal of a well sorted, comfy retro road/touring ride as Prodigal suggests - when life changes I would love to get one on the books and do some seriouos miles; c) many comments have refocussed me on what would be a tidy 'challenge' for us to do - probably self-organised, almost certainly offroad - thinking more along lines of King Allfred Way over a weekend or cross-cambrians in a day etc...

Cheers all!

Why not borrow or but a bike and go along you might just enjoy it.

As a die hard roadie I spent a week before Christmas on an MTB around Devon lanes and really enjoyed it!

Quit the prejudice against road riding: it´s just as exhilarating as good singletrack. Loads of people riding alone on old bikes just for the smooth pedaling and cornering at speed. Try it... you may love it.
I used to only do road and used to road race so it's an observation, but that what happens when you presume to know someone when you don't.

I used to only do road and used to road race so it's an observation, but that what happens when you presume to know someone when you don't.
I used to be a mtbiker only but when i first tried a road bike it felt so smooth and fast I ride both now. I love bicycles.. any bicycle.

Last edited:
Back