1x conversions: the new way to mess well preserved classics?

Apologies, yes, transcription error - should have been 0.76.

Whilst your math is correct, you've accidentally skewed the data. You can't compare the percentages the way you have. You didn't start with a comparable datum (hence I used a 38T single ring, although pretty uncommon in real life when running 1x).

To put it into context;

28/38/48 x 11/32 = 0.88 to 4.36.

44 x 10/50 = 0.88 to 4.4

1x (in this scenario) has a larger spread for comparable gear ratios, but with the same lowest gear.

I also have no dog in this race, I happily run 10, 12, 21, 24 and 27 speed bikes :)

My_Teenage_Self":3g55ytfk said:
Apologies, yes, transcription error - should have been 0.76.

Whilst your MATHS is correct, you've accidentally skewed the data. You can't compare the percentages the way you have. You didn't start with a comparable datum (hence I used a 38T single ring, although pretty uncommon in real life when running 1x).

To put it into context;

28/38/48 x 11/32 = 0.88 to 4.36.

44 x 10/50 = 0.88 to 4.4

1x (in this scenario) has a larger spread for comparable gear ratios, but with the same lowest gear.

I also have no dog in this race, I happily run 10, 12, 21, 24 and 27 speed bikes :)

As someone who is world renown for leaving it in the big ring everywhere (up hill, down dale) I leave the triples where they are. They are mechanical works of art and serve a purpose aesthetically as well as mechanically.

I've found 1x too restrictive, spinning out very early on some routes between lumpy bits.

There are grumblings in the service side of it all that cassette sprockets are too thin and have been bending easily along with chains snapping or catastrophic failure.

When out with 1x12/1x11 boyz, its noisy! Lots of clattery shifting up and down where I'm barely shifting through two or three ratios for the same route.

I have no plans to go 1x on anything except maybe a Marin full suss with the intended purpose of riding (walking) around the Peak District but even there, I found my perfect ratio for climbing was 36/36, 1 to 1 ratio - magic due to the mathematics behind the size of the sprocket, the torque created by the chains position on the lever/ pedal arm/ chainring, the size of my wheels, the moon and the position of Virgo passing through Uranus...

Now, if you were cynical, the whole modern 1x movement was started due to companies not wanting to pay for patients on front mechs. Thereby forcing the MTB market into a wholly new direction, one company loudly declaring to never have to manufacture another front mech again also allegedly freeing up suspension design,

Plus we're seeing the death of the old 8spd width freehub body with a new splined standard taking over leaving purchasers locked in to each manufacturers design rather than the near universal compatibility of old.

https://singletrackworld.com/2019/06/st ... strations/

But only if you were cynical.

*I'm a bit sad to see it on road bikes but hey ho

Re:

so, you're trying to have a rant that everything in the bike world should be a singlespeed?

No.

With horizontal dropouts anyone is free to make their drivetrain as simple or as complex as they wish.
Vertical dropouts effectively constrain you to the derailleur- whether or not you actually use the thing.

I confess I misunderstood what '1X' means. I thought it meant 'single-speed'. Now I realise it means 'one chainring combined with wide-ratio sprockets'.

legrandefromage":1l7c7p1o said:
Now, if you were cynical, the whole modern 1x movement was started due to companies not wanting to pay for patients on front mechs. Thereby forcing the MTB market into a wholly new direction, one company loudly declaring to never have to manufacture another front mech again also allegedly freeing up suspension design,

I am cynical, totally agree.

Plus we're seeing the death of the old 8spd width freehub body with a new splined standard taking over leaving purchasers locked in to each manufacturers design rather than the near universal compatibility of old.

Much like suntour vs campag vs shimano in the 90s?

https://singletrackworld.com/2019/06/st ... strations/

But only if you were cynical.

*I'm a bit sad to see it on road bikes but hey ho

legrandefromage":2lkrvycs said:
SRAM you mean?

Couldn't design a robust front mech to save their lives.

Back