1x conversions: the new way to mess well preserved classics?

legrandefromage":2rio0ffd said:
Nope! you just move spacers around a bit and redish

OH, that's easy enough then, i might go 9's then with the goatlink and Deore mech I have or see if I can grab another SLX for £25. 1 x 9 does seem to be a good idea and as Box have picked the standard back up for wide range cassettes it may get a new lease of life and soldier on for a while yet.

Need to get the boy's bike finished first before I embark on that project though.

Well the current project has run into a problem. It appears the slx rd m675 rear mech has a different pull ratio to my deore sl m530 9 speed shifters. May have to go 10 speed on this one and 9 with a goat link on the other bike

Re: Re:

velomaniac":1skdy9nb said:
Idea is not even new, 1x has been around for ever. Only new thing is the spread of cogs from teeny to huge and their number. Look at a early 80's Schwinn Sidewinder, a proto MTB it was 1x. A MTB is basically a MTB frame with stuff bolted often/usually from a different manufacturer than the frame. We all changed components bitd to suit ourselves, changing the spec is not butchering. All for 1x If the bike gets used :)

I hate to disappoint but the Sidewinder definitely came with a front mech as standard but then it also came as a 1x AND a single speed

A bike of the Future (echo)!

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/sidewinde ... sidewinder

Re:

Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced 6 speed Regina freewheel?

As in a proper spread of ratios one, not a 13-18 nonsense thing.

And no, I don't consider the 100+ quid ones on eBay reasonably priced before the quips / links come in - I'd rather use a 5 quid Sunrace than pay those prices.

[But I wouldn't of course].

legrandefromage":p5d3ehkz said:
I have a spare SLX 9speed if required.
Thanks for the offer, I won’t need that but, I may take you up on the 9 speed free hub body in a while as I’ll be converting this one to 10 speed and the one for my daughter will go 9 speed as I only now need the free hub body and goatlink.

Back