1x conversions: the new way to mess well preserved classics?

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Everybody can do whatever they want with their own bikes, but I've noticed lately many people using perfectly preserved retro mtbs and doing "1X" conversions.

Will this become the new trend to ruin classic mtb's like the fixie fashion ruined plenty gorgeous Colnagos, Peugeots and other classy road bikes in the mid-00's?

Re: Re:

Rod_Saetan":1s602e6e said:
Just out of curiosity, in what way do you think that they will be ruined?

If the starting point is a bike that has survived in original condition 25+ years, butcher it to fit current fashion is ruining it for me. (Like inheriting the 80's Mercedes from Grandpa and convert it to a race boy car).

If it's a neglected and forgotten bike, anything that gets it running again is fine for me.

I wouldnt say its been butchered, more adapted or upgraded, something it would have more than likely gone through if it had been used for its intended purpose back in the day.

Personally i like 1x setups and have been thinking of converting a couple of my bikes. I suppose it depends on what you intend to do with the bike also, ride or admire.

Meh.

1x is totally reversible, and I was riding 1x in the 90s.

not something to get worked up about IMO. IF you fit modern bits to keep a retro running as consumables (chain, cassette, chainrings) become harder to replace, it's no big deal. My retros get ridden less, and generally only in good conditions as bits are getting harder to source.

There's similar arguments in classic car circles, and it'll never be agreed upon.

My_Teenage_Self":n95zasr2 said:
Meh.

1x is totally reversible, and I was riding 1x in the 90s.

Certainly on the downhill scene when the courses stopped featuring uphill sections :facepalm: and we realised that the front mech was only needed to help keep the chain on....

Re:

Ruined? :LOL: OK, each to their own, best you don't look at any of my retro mtb's then.
It's not permanent.
I don't think using old frames with fixed gear is ruining the frame either, maybe just me...

Re:

I can understand why some people wouldn't like a nice and original condition classic bike to be changed from its original build, but I think there is space in the bike world for all sorts.

Didn't the first ever MTB live after someone 'ruined' an old Schwinn?

Why do people ride 1 x set up in the first place?? I never understood why mountainbikes went from 3x to 2x to 1x... I always miss that cog that keeps me spin smoothly. But that's another discusdion, no?

Bigger cassettes with wider ranges, my first MTB was 6 speed at the back and had a 13/28 cassette, and i think 28/38/48 at the front......

The current "state of the art" is 12 speed with a 10-50 or 51
Probably got a better range and almost as many usable ratios.

(i still use 2x for racing and a 1x for playing around)

Back