1996 Kona Explosif

Re:

last image shows the gap, instructions show the problem...

:facepalm:

It's the twist and align or it's a hydraulic press or it's getting cut off with a grinder and binned...

Unless anyone's got any suggestions!

➡️

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":dlavxa9d said:
Just the washers, not the actual spacers.

You should be able to measure tooth to tooth (between rings) which is ~8mm iirc. Though best to look that up as I can't quite remember.

Headset, is it just getting a cup out (picture?)
Do you have the splayed pipe to hammer it with?

washers looks like it :)

Update. Everything works!

Removed the washers behind the spacers on the spider and everything is now aligned nicely.

BB was 118mm and didn't provide enough for a correct chainline. 122.5mm in there now and seems to be okay.

Stuck headset was removed with some ingenuity and without a big hammer. Park tools CRP-1 moved the entire top assembly easily after turning a piece of plastic and a piece of aluminium to cup the race and extend the steerer on the lathe at Armour customs (thanks man!)

The top race had bitten into the thin layer of over spray on the steerer tube... removed this with some nitromors

Now have to find a decent BB to drop some weight and replace the worn yeti grips.

It's rideable right now and that's the main thing...

Some images of the fix to follow

Still haven't got round to putting new grips on this... Maybe in spring.
Also, I'm unable to locate the images of the headset fix at present.
Here's a dodgy phone pic for now.
Anybody able to provide a grey seat post option?
1669991635676.jpg

Last edited:
27,0 mm and grey - hm - difficult.

Maybe a Syncros Ti (hard to get and $$$). Bontrager also had some grey alloy seatpost's (from late 90's) but no idea if in 27,0 mm

Anyway nice Explosif :).

27.0 and grey?

Easton EA70, I’ve got one on my 94 and it’s a nice dull grey. I removed the scabby painted decals with acetone.

Definitely too much black going on here. Saddle is creaking. Still no sign of a single m960/70 brake to make a pair. Grips still ripped and need swapping out however the bar plugs were installed with a lot of swearing if memory serves.

Front mech still is not happy in situ and shifter not indexing. Considering again to remove the xtr entirely as I'm unconvinced of its compatibility.

Steerer is too long and I am reluctant to cut this down until I find an 18" frame to swap out. Also feeling a lot of drag from the back hub. Feels like the brakes are on! Service time.

Definitely too much black going on here. Saddle is creaking. Still no sign of a single m960/70 brake to make a pair. Grips still ripped and need swapping out however the bar plugs were installed with a lot of swearing if memory serves.

Front mech still is not happy in situ and shifter not indexing. Considering again to remove the xtr entirely as I'm unconvinced of its compatibility.

Steerer is too long and I am reluctant to cut this down until I find an 18" frame to swap out. Also feeling a lot of drag from the back hub. Feels like the brakes are on! Service time.

A few observations that I hope are helpful.

- Raise the saddle nose and / or lower the seat-post a touch. A lot of your weight is going on the front end in that set-up, and it doesn't necessarily need to do so. It may be a contributor to the creaking but be aware, it may be the saddle anyway. The flex/quality can be a cause.
- Sub-point, if the steerer is too long, then you'll end up with a bigger saddle to bar ratio, even more bum in the air, face in the ground position.
- The front mech looks too low/too close to the big ring. This can cause shifting issues.
- The rear mech/chain length might be too long. In that current gearing, I'd expect the spring to be more stretched if that makes sense: more tension.
- Drag on the rear hub sounds ominous. I run the same on the Team Explosif and they are butter smooth. Definitely need a service but check for the obvious; alignment in the rear triangle, brake set-up, etc.

Back