1993 KHS Montana Comp - Complete Restoration

Brilliant! I really wish I'd painted mine in the original colours instead of just grey. One day... And maybe it's just my memory, but I think my 93 model came with the black LX mech that matched the rest of the groupset.

foz":110s6zr5 said:
Brilliant! I really wish I'd painted mine in the original colours instead of just grey. One day... And maybe it's just my memory, but I think my 93 model came with the black LX mech that matched the rest of the groupset.

Thanks :) Anything's possible by the time it was sold to you I guess, but the factory spec was definitely a M560 (LX) group for everything except the mechs which were M65x (DX). It took me so long to save for the bike, with the catalogue in hand, that I became very familiar with it. I noticed the fork steerer was stamped 1993 when painting them.

My original DX rear mech blew out in blaze of glory on a ride quite some time ago.

The only problem with my current rear mech for the eagle eyed is it's a short cage (that'll teach me for bidding on eBay whilst on a ski chairlift). A vgc long cage version is in the post.

Re: Re:

Once A Hero":1q7r6sjt said:
Great job, turned out really well :cool:
How long did it take?

Cheers, it's been fun. I started it over the Xmas holidays. Painting took the longest. Spent most of Feb buying parts whilst waiting for various stages to cure. Only started rebuilding 10 days ago and finished last night.

Only trouble now is I'm not sure if I trust the spray.bike paint. Got my first chip in it too easily. I think this one will be a personal museum piece now. I've just bought a 1995 (i think) Orange P7 for £80 to go at next and the plan is a less perfect rebuild, add front shocks, and use it a bit.

foz":3s78ijmt said:

PS - the Orange P7 I just bought did come with the full LX M563 group, rear mech and all. I think from a looks point of view that group is just perfect. The DX might be the level up, but it's aesthetically not pleasing and never was!

Here's me in Feb 1995 racing the bike and pulling what is now known by my family as my "concentrating face". This is some quite some time after I bought the bike as it has a bunch of upgrades: XT thumbies, Dia Compe PC8 brake levers, Ringle bottle cage and X-Lite skewers. You can't see it but there will be the red Use seat post that was still on it until recently and there'll be a flight ti saddle, obvs...

The X-Lite skewers came long after I bought the bike as I got them second hand when I hard landed my friend's Cannondale and bent the rear ti skewer (hence I inherited 3/4s of the set after I bought him new ones)

Attachments

• IMG_3621.jpg
    IMG_3621.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 248
Back