1993 Fat Chance Buckshaver

Going for the highly original turquoise on Grello, which I’m confident I’m the first ever Fat owner to try out.

Anyhow, one of the main blockers on the build was tracking down a threadless 1” Manitou crown assembly, but managed to pick up a NOS example a few months ago. Feeling a degree of guilt at taking a hacksaw to that pristine steerer but the frame is a medium, so unfortunately surgery is demanded.

Last edited:
I’ve spent a pointless amount of time stressing over whether to go blue bars (USE) and match polished Controltech stem and seat post, or blue Zooka, silver taperlites and then basically just try and come to terms with a non-matching seat post.. whilst I try and hunt down a non-cracked Moby with at least a trace of anodising left.

Mocked it up.. and, damn, those USE bars are ridiculously narrow. The Answers felt like a set of modern 29er enduro bars by comparison. Decision made. DCF767AA-6C8C-4AA4-9C24-C3C6C4099EB9.png 48386D7A-CE28-48D0-AC8E-F54670313689.jpeg

Nice, nothing wrong with a slow burner. I tend to drag builds on myself, the pondering of alternative parts is part of the enjoyment imho. With your parts list it´s not gonna be a literal buck shaver though😋

Nice, nothing wrong with a slow burner. I tend to drag builds on myself, the pondering of alternative parts is part of the enjoyment imho. With your parts list it´s not gonna be a literal buck shaver though😋
Ha. I mean.. yeah.. I did think about that one. I know that people built them with LX bitd, and the frames trade at 50 percent discount to Yos these days.. but when i’m collecting frames now I’m focusing more on the quality of the workmanship and condition when deciding on build than where in the hierarchy it once sat, tubing mix or, let’s face, it a couple of hundred grams! Still handbuilt in Massachusetts, baby!

Besides it’s such a vivid colour and the condition is really good that I actually think I like it more than my Yo (which is sapphire fade) aesthetically.

Not saying I haven’t pencilled in those Ringle/Campy wheels for something else down the line though 😂

Hmmm… bit of an issue. I went for a 122mm bb on the RS2s… however now that they’re fitted, I’m beginning to think I might have made a mistake.. maybe 127mm would have been safer.. I reckon I only have 2mm clearance between the granny and the chainstay.

Thoughts? Too tight? CDCE6D31-642F-437A-AC38-47B9890EE366.jpeg CDCE6D31-642F-437A-AC38-47B9890EE366.jpeg

Latest posts

Back