1993 Brodie Catalyst

I took out the Catalyst today. Haven't ridden the bike since my last post in this thread. Weather and trail conditons were not ideal...

Since the last ride I had changed the front brake to an Avid SD 7. It's a V-brake and the Suntour lever supposedly works best with canti brakes, but the braking performance was not really that convincing with the Shimano XT canti. So why not?
Pad clearance is minimal and bite point is rather spongy, but braking force and modulation are excellent. Well worth the trade-off, I think..so far...after the first ride.

p6pb22156699.jpg

p6pb22156700.jpg

Quick clip endoing round a switchback.

This mod actually opens up a whole lot of other options to fit the bars that I originally planned on using.

Hmm usually the 730 is a powerful brake… what pads did you use?

Ok i‘ve seen it myself…i‘d rathe take the bit more handpower than a spongy lever feeling.

Maybe you find some lever that are good for both. With an ajustable catch for the brakecable.

Avid, Real, younger Ritchey, machine tech
Had something like that.

Last edited:
Hmm usually the 730 is a powerful brake… what pads did you use?

Ok i‘ve seen it myself…i‘d rathe take the bit more handpower than a spongy lever feeling.

Maybe you find some lever that are good for both. With an ajustable catch for the brakecable.

Avid, Real, younger Ritchey, machine tech
Had something like that.
Pads were fairly new salmon coloured Kool Stops...it was decent for a canti, but nothing to shout about compared to a V-brake.

I'm a sucker for powerful brakes and mismatching parts. So I'll keep it that way.

Changed tyres, put on a brake booster and finally got to put on the bars that I wanted to put on from the start. Not entirely happy with the stem, though. Will be trying out a Thomson Elite stem with some rise next.

Adding the booster improved the front brake even further. Bars were cut to 720mm.
The tyres are much better than I expected.

p6pb22236863.jpg

p6pb22236901.jpg

p6pb22236902.jpg

p6pb22236903.jpg

p6pb22236904.jpg

p5pb22236906.jpg

The Thomson stem fits the bill, at least for me.
I'd love to get a quill stem, but the bars will have to stay. And they do not play nice with stem without removable faceplates.

p6pb22293954.jpg

p6pb22293955.jpg

Now I'm happy with the rear brake as well. Canti levers and V-brakes make for great power and modulation. Bite point feels a little vague compared to other setups, but it's totally fine when riding.

p6pb22736223.jpg

p6pb22736226.jpg

p6pb22736227.jpg

p6pb22736224.jpg

p5pb22736221.jpg

p5pb22736222.jpg

p6pb22736228.jpg

p6pb22736230.jpg

That would be too easy. Mismatching parts is fun. Also those are my favourite rim brake levers and this is the only bike that I am willing to use them on.
I like mismatching everything: shimano/ suntour, black/ silver, road components on mtb and if i can get better braking w/ different levers, why not?

Back