1991 Trek 990

Just curious - any chance you weighed the frame when you had everything apart? Assume these are solid 5 lb'ers?
Unfortunately I did not. And Trek didn't have the frame weight listed separate in the catalog.
I miss mine, so if the General ever wants to sell….
Not any time soon. The tight, springy frame is a dream to ride. Soon, I'll be investing in some 1.5" Tioga City Slickers, and I have a Trek Sonic cycling computer, with cadence monitor. I also want to find or build a lighter set of wheels for this bike. Hoping I can find some black Bullseye laced to Trek Matrix rims, or I could build up some wheels with Matrix Mt. Aero.

I loved these 990's back in the day. They were great to set up out of the box too

Back in November, I took this bike on a ~60 mile overnight tour along the Katy Trail in my home state of Missouri.

Shakedown ride day before the trip:

PXL_20231102_214035791.jpg

Fully loaded, at the half way point on the way back:

IMG_20240218_133111_076.jpg

I outfitted it with my old Topeak rack, a small GoRuck duffel, and an Ortlieb pannier.

IMG_20240218_133108_095.jpg

On the front, I fitted a newer Sunlite front rack, a Wald 137 basket, and and a Makeshifter Basket Case.

IMG_20240218_133109_548.jpg

I also swapped on a pair of Tioga Psycho IIs, some XT M730 pedals, a Flite for more comfort, and a Velo Orange Mojave bottle cage for 1.5L of water reserves

IMG_20240218_133106_721.jpg .

Along the ride, my bottom bracket got a little loose and creaky, my headset lock ring failed to keep my headset tight, and my rear derailleur started getting noisy. Since I got back, I've replaced the loose Vetta jockey wheels with a pair of red Bullseyes, adjusted the bottom bracket, and replaced the Tioga lock ring with the original Gorilla Headlock that came on the bike. I also took the racks off, and put the Tioga pedal assemblies back on. A few weeks after this ride, on my weekly Friday night ride, one of the Psychos pushed it's wire bead into my tube, so I swapped back to Tioga City Slickers.

IMG_20231210_145128.jpg

I love how easy it is to convert this bike into a touring machine! I am happy to have it turned back into a quick city ripper, and now I have the inspiration to build a dedicated touring bike!

Back