1991 Merlin Elevator rebuild

Wonderful, probably my favourite bike ever, but I'd suggest a Marzocchi Z2 instead. The 100 mm of the Z1 would throw the geometry off completely, the Z2 is slightly lighter, and it still has wonderful damping, with its open bath cartridge. First Generation Marzocchi have a replaceable steerer, and you can easily fit a 1" unit.

Apart from the geometry issue, the Z1 is comparable heavy.
I had exactly this orange Z1 model as a temporary solution in my 96' Litespeed Ocoee frame. The Ti frame is quite lightweight (similar to yours) and the heavy fork makes the bike unbalanced and top-heavy. I can't recommend this.
I'm not saying you should put only wheight weenie stuff on it, but the Z1 is exactly the opposite.

Merlin partnered with Pace around this time, used their forks on a few show bikes and their suspender frame. A good RC35 is the perfect match and can be easily serviced by a few people on here with parts relatively easily available

Apart from the geometry issue, the Z1 is comparable heavy.
I had exactly this orange Z1 model as a temporary solution in my 96' Litespeed Ocoee frame. The Ti frame is quite lightweight (similar to yours) and the heavy fork makes the bike unbalanced and top-heavy. I can't recommend this.
I'm not saying you should put only wheight weenie stuff on it, but the Z1 is exactly the opposite.
Looks like the Z1 is more than a pound heavier than the Judy! I‘ll do a post comparing weights, once the Z2 is here.

Merlin partnered with Pace around this time, used their forks on a few show bikes and their suspender frame. A good RC35 is the perfect match and can be easily serviced by a few people on here with parts relatively easily available
A good looking fork for sure! Had a quick look at it before. A perfect match based on style, but using elastomers?!

Thanks to everyone who commented on potential forks for this bike. I am now going for a Marzocchi Z2 BAM💥

Here‘s a little comparison by weight:

IMG_4840.jpeg

RockShox Judy XC with steel springs, 1600 gr — Marzocchi Z2 BAM, 1680 gr -- Marzocchi Z1, 2100 gr

I haven‘t opened the Z1 and Z2 yet and just got them so I don‘t know how much oil is in there. Should have an effect on the weight. Marzocchi has listed the Z1 with 1760 gr in their ‘97 catalogue. This must be without oil which would be pretty funny. In the ‘98 catalogue they stopped listing weights altogether. 😄

In any case, I will be servicing/rebuilding both Bombers that I got. Will be riding the Z2 and sell the Z1.

Looks like the Z2‘s color is also the better fit with the Merlin. And I do love Italian colors and the Italian mountains!!

Attachments

• IMG_4846.jpeg
    IMG_4846.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4845.jpeg
    IMG_4845.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4844.jpeg
    IMG_4844.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-30 um 20.43.18.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-30 um 20.43.18.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
A quick update...

The 1 1/8" steerer tube has been removed and the Z2 crown has been fitted with a 1" steerer tube and an aluminium shim. Marzocchi didn't provide 1" alloy steerer tubes (stability) so the new tube is Cr-Mo. Next up is rebuilding the Z2!

IMG_4868.jpeg
IMG_4869 2.jpeg

Head set and bottom bracket both were serviced and are in great condition. I had replaced the bearings in the bottom bracket at least once in the past. So they just got cleaned and greased.

IMG_4741.jpeg
IMG_4848.jpeg
IMG_4852.jpg
IMG_4871.jpeg

Finished my first Bomber rebuild (and learned a lot).

IMG_4874.jpeg

Disassembling and removing the old fork oil from the Z2. Oil seals were leaking, oil levels were criminally low.

IMG_4893.jpeg

Turned out that pilot bushings (the two cylinders with holes in them - I think holes are Z2 specific) are in great shape. I didn't ask the seller to check if there's any play in the stanchions. Replacing the bushings would be expensive. Next time I'll better check before buying an old fork!

All parts got cleaned, degreased and inspected. 🤓👍The Z2 has only one hydraulic cartridge (damper) in the right leg and a pumping element in the other. Not gonna lie, the fork and it's construction is properly fascinating! 🤩

IMG_4918.jpeg

Parts that got replaced: Oil and dust seals, all O-rings, screws, safety rings and preload knobs. And the fork oil of course.

This was lots of fun! Can't wait to try the Z2 on the Merlin!!

Back