1991 Merlin Elevator rebuild

I would like to know how does it ride compared to a double diamond frame. Anyone rode both head to head? Very cool bike. The Z1 height will mess w/ the geo.. a z2 would give all you want from hydraulics w/ less a-c height.

PS: You already broke two Syncros parts and were lucky not to break the stem while riding. Why not stay w/ Nitto and get one of their steel stems? Why go back to the syncros post?
You're absolutely right. I guess I really loved Syncros back in the day. It had a lot to do with the aesthetics of their products. Now I'm trying to restore the original idea of the bike but also fixing issues it had back then. That's why I am going for a 3rd gen post which fixed the breaking clamp issues. Not totally rational here 🤔

I will consider the Z2 suggestion. I was hoping to get todays xc travel with a fork from the 90s with the Z1. The fork will be it's own chapter in this rebuild.

I can't comment about the ride in comparison. The Elevator obviously has a bit of bottom bracket flex. I never found it to be an issue though.

Thanks for the input!

I totally have the hots for this Merlin model. If you want to let it go, get in contact :cool:

Next up was to apply the nearly 30 years old decals. This became the most nerve-wrecking job! Stickers wouldn‘t stick, the appliqué wouldn‘t loosen. It seemed impossible to complete and the instructions not matching the type of decal (use water to loosen and hair dryer to melt the glue into the surface). And only one attempt! It took all my patience but after two days of sweat and tears with a few minor glitches it was done :oops:

IMG_4794.jpeg

IMG_4796.jpeg

IMG_4797.jpeg

The manual suggests to finish the frame with Lemon Pledge which seems unobtainable here in Germany. A guy working on a titanium frame on Youtube suggested to use WD-40. This stuff works like it was made to finish a titanium frame (seems like in a way it actually was).

Great work!

And yeah, WD-40 for the win.

I use it to finish all my titanium bits and pieces. And a bunch of other stuff too! It's actually better as a cleaning product than anything else.

I first got it to use as a penetrating oil to treat stuck cranks and bolts.

„The spray, composed of various hydrocarbons, was originally designed to be used by Convair to protect the outer skin of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion.[11][12] This outer skin also functioned as the outer wall of the missile's delicate balloon tanks. WD-40 was later found to have many household uses[1] and was made available to consumers in San Diego in 1958.“

Coming back to mountainbiking after a 15 years hiatus and having relied on my trusted bike dealer in the past, it’s amazing to see how bike technology has evolved over the years. The plan is to fit a late 90s Marzocchi Bomber to the Merlin replacing the Judy. The Merlin being from the early 90s requires a 1“ steerer tube. Pretty much all Bombers that I‘ve seen in the market place have 1 1/8“ steerer tubes. Even though the old catalogues list 1“ steerers as an option, there probably weren‘t many being sold.

I‘ve reached out to Dr. Zocchi to buy a rebuilt Bomber from him but was told that he‘s currently or no longer doing rebuilds. So I‘ve decided to get a fork and service/rebuild it myself. Replacing the steerer tube by a 1 incher (pressing it in) can still be done by Dr. Zocchi.

I‘ve gotten a Bomber Z1 so far and since it’s really hard to decide based on pics and numbers, I‘ve also secured a Z2 bam in black. The Z2 to arrive next week. When comparing forks, weight, bike geometry and color all are concerns 😗

Opinions, ideas, hints are appreciated…

IMG_4806.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4809.jpeg
    IMG_4809.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4808.jpeg
    IMG_4808.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4807.jpeg
    IMG_4807.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 12