1991 Lightning Flash Restoration JB0090

That is not the main point for a try you could mix it up. The bottem part of the ball bearing is the same or could be used as a junit of its own. In the worst case you have to remove the top out of the frame and put a a-head ball bearing cup in there. Just try if the bearing and cup from the Marin fit to the upper.

As I already mentioned more important is the diameter and length.

Cheers Martin

Lightning Flash has 1" steerer (at least the one of the friend I sold my Logic headset to). So no worky with the nicer Marin Rockstar forks. I´d wait for a Ritchey, good thing is the steerer on this frame does not seem to be overly long. I needed 20cm, took me a few years until I found one.

Last edited:
Yes I'm looking for a 91 plus Ritchey at a decent price to strip of it's components to build this bike up. Sounds like blasphemy to me but it may be the most economical way to achieve my end goal.

Yes I'm looking for a 91 plus Ritchey at a decent price to strip of it's components to build this bike up. Sounds like blasphemy to me but it may be the most economical way to achieve my end goal.
Much easier and cheaper to buy the Ritchey stuff part by part. A 91 Ritchey sits at the top of the vintage market food chain.

If you´re looking for a donor bike, Bridgestone MB 3 and up also had Logic forks. But forks do come up on ebay from time to time. At least that´s where I got mine from a couple of years ago.

Follow my method: build the bike today w/ whatever parts you have at hand. If it fits like a glove and rides like a dream search the universe for the golden parts to make it the beautifull unicorn in your heart; as you keep riding it. In the end it´s about riding these things.

Yes a few Rocky Mountains as well but what I am mainly after are the Ritchey Logic crankset, brake levers, cantis and headset. Would love black chainrings but we'll see what comes available. There is an Ultra with all the wanted items on it but at $1200 cad dollars it's exceed my budget plus a couple hundred more to get it here :-(

Yes a few Rocky Mountains as well but what I am mainly after are the Ritchey Logic crankset, brake levers, cantis and headset. Would love black chainrings but we'll see what comes available. There is an Ultra with all the wanted items on it but at $1200 cad dollars it's exceed my budget plus a couple hundred more to get it here :-(
Brakes and levers are not that hard to find. The crankset is sought after but i ve seen it on vintage classifieds. Facebook has vintage mtb pages. You will find everything.

Follow my method: build the bike today w/ whatever parts you have at hand. If it fits like a glove and rides like a dream search the universe for the golden parts to make it the beautifull unicorn in your heart; as you keep riding it. In the end it´s about riding these things.
Nice, like this advice. I build these up because I like the hunt for components and cleaning and restoring these bikes. Once done, the pride of ownership comes from the work I put into the restoration. The riding part is not the end goal for me though just a nice bonus.

Back