1991 Alpinestars Ti-Mega Build ***Final Pictures Page 14 ***

Re:

Can't believe you caved on the valve caps... :LOL:

Quite a result, you've every right to be proud of that!

(the brake pads don't really hit the sidewalls do they, it's just a funny angle...?)

Re: Re:

elPedro666":24qiesz5 said:
Can't believe you caved on the valve caps... :LOL:

Quite a result, you've every right to be proud of that!

(the brake pads don't really hit the sidewalls do they, it's just a funny angle...?)

It is a funny angle, the brakes work perfectly.... We wouldn't go to this level of detail without making sure the brakes were dialed. :xmas-wink:

Re:

Awesome bike! I have the same magazine, although with a torn cover :( Being a stickler for attention-to-detail on my own builds, found a couple areas to improve as you tweak your build over time:

The brake straddle cable is backwards, as the word "front" or "rear" should be facing outwards. Also, the ones on your build are from the DX & below brakes, as the XT ones had an allen bolt that recessed into the front of the holder, like this:

Also nice to see you caving in to use the valve caps as a finishing touch, but I would use a collar also, as this would cover up the valve hole & center the valves a little better. If you want to go all out, I would recommend some anodized aluminum covers & rings from Purely Custom: https://www.purelycustom.com/c-38-prest ... llars.aspx I use them on all my builds & I really like how it gives that finished look, like this:

Also a detailing tip: one way to get rid of some of the rust from the inside of allen bolts is to take a corner of a scotchbrite pad, twirl it around in there a few times, & finish it off by dipping some Qtips in rubbing alcohol & cleaning it out :D

Attachments

• Brakes (800x600).jpg
    Brakes (800x600).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 580
  • Rear Tire (800x600).jpg
    Rear Tire (800x600).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 580

kyle888":q5ylr1qb said:
Isn't the crank on the cover silver?
also the canti's are silver.

Correct, this was the FRAME from the cover but when we got the bike all the og parts were long gone.

Earlier in the build diary I noted that we are simply building this up per our own vision for a '91 Ti-Mega. The build on the cover has a spec that is a very unique campy build with some rare campy grip shift shifters. Since we have two other campy builds of the same era in our collection and I wanted to build this up like I would have as a rider in '91.

Who knows we might re-do this build again just like the cover down the line but for now this was the vision I was going for.... and I am really happy with how it turned out.

Re:

Oh i thought it was a 'as the front cover build' that's all.

I really like the finished bike anyway and the black looks better in my opinion! :)

millsm":14bkhf02 said:
Also a detailing tip: one way to get rid of some of the rust from the inside of allen bolts is to take a corner of a scotchbrite pad, twirl it around in there a few times, & finish it off by dipping some Qtips in rubbing alcohol & cleaning it out :D

Great "tip'! No pun intended.... will definitely take note and make sure to do this.

Thanks for the feedback!

//nm

Back