1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX - FINISHED! Pages 7-9

Re: 1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX SORT OF FINISHED Page7

Very nice build - inspirational. Will be borrowing your Sharpie technique for a set of heavily faded IRC Missile tyres I just bought off the 'Bay. :D

Re:

If there is such a word as "Awesomeness" then this has it by the bucket load :D

Promise me you'll bring it to Mayhem, only I don't think I can wait until Icon O Classic to see it. Besides theres going to wall to wall with bike nuts hanging around to admire it.

I'll bet every time you see it you can't help but smile... :cool:

Thanks for the positive comments guys, really encouraging that three of the most inspiring Retrobike builders can give such a strong response!

Ans the plan is to bring it to mayhem for people to have a gander Spud, I'm just figuring how to pack it to get it in my little Fiesta - the rider can be slung on a bike rack.

This has been such a labour-of-love and a 'not just because I can or want to' build, but a 'need to' build. It's kept me sane, literally... The sometimes no-expense-spared parts are the reason why I'm on a £3/day food budget for the next month haha! (Seriously!)

regan_ev":14sp36cp said:
Thanks, I'm just figuring how to pack it to get it in my little Fiesta!)

If I hadn't seen your "little Fiesta" on one of your Instagram posts I'd feel sorry for yah..... But given its not exactly a 1.0l popular plus model I think they should both be inside as it doesn't look to be a car for driving at low speed, needless to say with those plates on it we"ll all know who's driving it/ who's arrived :D

Retro Spud":3qlzb6bx said:
regan_ev":3qlzb6bx said:
Thanks, I'm just figuring how to pack it to get it in my little Fiesta!)

If I hadn't seen your "little Fiesta" on one of your Instagram posts I'd feel sorry for yah..... But given its not exactly a 1.0l popular plus model I think they should both be inside as it doesn't look to be a car for driving at low speed, needless to say with those plates on it we"ll all know who's driving it/ who's arrived :D

HAHA! Does this mean you've signed up for Instagram mate? If not, why not? Or are you just browsing my profile in a browser? :p #DoItAlready! #YoullLoveTheHashtagPhenomena :LOL:

Looking great that is. Seems a real shame to be losing those lovely colour matched forks though

As new :cool:

Trick now as ever is to keep it complete, and never be tempted to dismantle to build something else or sell on.
A slippy slope

Again, thank you for the compliments and positive comments guys.

Adrian, I really appreciate your comment and I do agree, it's vindication that my decision to fit these forks was worthwhile. I had expected most people to say something like "Meh, they're too new" or "Spoils the build as they're not period correct", both of which I'd also understand and being of a split mind (maybe it's cos I'm a Gemini lol) I've gone with the closer periods correct purchase on the Manitou2, just because the NOS set that I never thought I'd find, turned up on here! As a teaser, this is what it will look like (not my pic, credit to Russell Hales via Facebook, to whom this Al-Mega belongs, and why I coveted a set of M2):

Cabling up!
Using the Shimano Pro-Set Tool (TL-CB10) that Ian (racer x) sold to me NOS full set! Never used one before but my anal-level attention to detail necessitated this. Found it rather easy and knowing that all the angles are perfect makes me happy!
And I just love these NOS Shimano SLR brake cables and SIS Sealed SP gear cables! :cool:
The Ringlé seat clamp also fitted and a 1992 Alpinestars rear cable guide - because Sod's law, the 91 cable guide won't fit onto the Ringlé clamp :(

Back