1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX - FINISHED! Pages 7-9

Re: Re:

twain":2e5pegfj said:
More please!

Won't be much longer before I can start actually building it. Changed my mind on a few things as time's progressed and I'm still a few bits away from getting it "complete". :)

Re: 91 Al-Mega DX project

Frame looks perfect Regan, but I'm not sure about forks (to young for the frame)
But we'll see how they will looks like together ;)

skolioza":2ma6k5i3 said:
Frame looks perfect Regan, but I'm not sure about forks (to young for the frame)

Thanks Marcin
I agree with you that the forks don't match the age of the frame. I have some other forks that with a bit of work might better suit but I always liked the 95 Judy and the decision to fit them to this frame was made very early in the project. Who knows, I might change my mind - again - as with lots of other decisions on this build! But for now, the Judys will be fitted ;)

regan_ev":19gp7ai8 said:
skolioza":19gp7ai8 said:

Thanks Marcin
I agree with you that the forks don't match the age of the frame. I have some other forks that with a bit of work might better suit but I always liked the 95 Judy and the decision to fit them to this frame was made very early in the project. Who knows, I might change my mind - again - as with lots of other decisions on this build! But for now, they will be fitted ;)

Whilst you can't fault Marcins statement, if you actually want to ride and enjoy it Judys work a hell of alot better than period correct Manitou's which even with springs are dire.

I agree with you in so much as they (Judy's) were a great looking fork
Fit them and see what you feel in a week or two's time, if you feel that they still look a little awkward then swap em out. Its not as if your fitting 100mm plus modern jobs on to this iconic frame.

Anyway Regan less reading and more action on the spanners please

Retro Spud":1bb3g60k said:
Whilst you can't fault Marcins statement, if you actually want to ride and enjoy it Judys work a hell of alot better than period correct Manitou's which even with springs they're dire.

I agree with you in so much as they (Judy's) were a great looking fork
Fit them and see what you feel in a week or two's time, if you feel that they still look a little awkward then swap em out. Its not as if your fitting 100mm plus modern jobs on to this iconic frame.

Any Regan less reading and more action on the spanners

Sound words, as always there Nick. And it has to be your Yeti which gave me the Judy bug when I saw it at Iconoclassic! I've got a set of Manitou 1 in lovely condition externally but wrong steerer and seized solid, so there's a heap of work and more money to fit those. I also bought a set of really nice Mani 2 with a 1 1/4" steerer that I was thinking to put on the XT I bought from Marcin or maybe on this DX but they got damaged beyond repair in the post :evil:

I'm sure you're right on Judy being a far better fork to ride. But it's got so much NOS stuff ready to go on I don't want to ride it any more :oops: (that's why I bought Marcin's!)

Spanners are at the ready mate! Just waiting for the new shifters I recently bought to arrive in the post and I could actually build the thing!

I'm going to need to plan to take some tidy pics of all three together then! :p

Re:

Think you have done a cracking job with this.
Always loved the yellow/pearl white Alp's.

Got some tasty kit going on as well.

Super cool :)

unit3":24ss1ouh said:
Think you have done a cracking job with this.
Always loved the yellow/pearl white Alp's.

Got some tasty kit going on as well.

Super cool :)

Thank you! :D

Following a gentle kick up the backside from Spud I've not got the spanners out but instead done a far more challenging task tonight (why at 11pm is anyone's guess!).

Finally got round to applying the decals to the forks. I've also stripped the damaged decals from the A•Tac stem but the original glue is military spec so I'll need to borrow some tar'n'glue remover from work tomorrow to get it clean before applying Gil's new ones :cool:

Might get the crown race off tomorrow and fit the new headset to get a front end assembled and possibly the BB too :). (Might! :LOL: )

Re:

Could do with some of those atac decals myself.

The farks look to be SL spec now, with ti bolt kit etc, not tempted by SL decals?

unit3":2cegtqur said:
Could do with some of those atac decals myself.

The farks look to be SL spec now, with ti bolt kit etc, not tempted by SL decals?

Give Gil_m a shout - he's got them in all shapes, sizes and black or white ;)

Erm... I didn't know what the differences were between XC & SL! The decals I bought also camE with SL lower stickers so I could put them on I suppose, but I'll remain true to the origins of BOTH sets of XC forks that I used to put these together and keep them as they are :LOL:

Back