1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX - FINISHED! Pages 7-9

Re: 1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX SORT OF FINISHED Page7

The pièce de resistance for this build, if not my favourite part then right near the top!
An original made-by Alpinestars bottle cage, specially designed and manufactured for the EOS frames. :cool: Bolted on with new titanium bolts.
I hunted for this everywhere. Eventually Bogi (aka Christian) replied to a wanted advert I placed on the 'kult' section of the MTB-News German bike forum and contacted me on here replying to the same wanted ad on RB! (If you read my comments on Instagram on this pic, I have stated it was a Spanish member I bought this from (as a pair, the other one is on my 92 XT), but I just realised I was mistaken when checking old PMs on here to find Bogi's details to give him the credit; he's German, not Spanish, but I was subsequently offered the same cages from a Spanish seller, so an easy mistake :oops:)
It's had a bit of touch-up and was nowhere near perfect - in fact quite tatty - so I'm especially proud of this part.
Bit of a strange thing that the bottle cage mounts on this frame a located relatively high up the seat tube - usually they sit lower - my previous identical 1991 bike was, and my other two 92 Al-Megas are also lower. Not complaining, makes it stand out more :p

Re:

absolutely stunning mate :cool:
'spose i should update my build thread :oops:

Re: 1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX SORT OF FINISHED Page7

Tried some artsy pics earlier (with just an iPhone 5S and very bad lighting and even worse artificial LED spotlighting in my garage :oops:) but they turned out a bit fartsy :LOL: Still, nice to get a background shot that's not my living room! Now that it is FINISHED!! I really should try to borrow a DSLR, find a nice environment and take a few tips from Nader! :facepalm:
Had to chop an inch off the seat post to get it further into the frame because of the restrictive curved seat tube to give it a more even stance (and more importantly, fit on it!), and all the cables are now attached. I also nerded-out with a pair of yellow dust caps like the old Conti tubes used to have (because these new ones came with black) and I also repositioned the headset spacers and realigned the Chris King stem cap as the writing was off-centre, because I'm anal about details! :p

:cool:

With a RockShox bottle, you know, in case I get thirsty staring at it :LOL:

And without...

Re: Re:

flyingwelshman":tw9c3v0z said:
looks stunning, well done
Tim, thank you!
You're still my hero :D And you made this brand cool! You've made my day :cool:

Re:

Beautiful bike. The Flouro paint is stunning. I wouldn't be able to get my Alpine LX anywhere near that level.

Re:

Stunning, I recall poring over an Alpinestars brochure as a teen, would have killed for one of these, fantastic job!

Absolutely brilliant... Really good build...really enjoyed this thread, fond memories with alpinestars, with there distribution depo in the early 90's being based in South Wales, Portskewett near Caldicot.. seeing these beautiful bikes regularly as a teenager..:)

Back