1988 Moulton AM-ATB

So much 😍 Love the wheels and tyres. Bonus points for the radial front :cool:

I like the braze on for the front derailleur. The only downside for the Moultons is the fact they only come in one size. I would have bought a TSR a long time ago if it fit me.. :confused:

Wonder why they opted for a caliper front brake? Strange if this was an "ATB" as the front brake is where you want bite/power, something calipers are not known for. I was thinking it is the skinny legs on the leading link forks, but then you have skinny rear seat stays... Can anyone enlighten me or suggest a reason?

Wonder why they opted for a caliper front brake? Strange if this was an "ATB" as the front brake is where you want bite/power, something calipers are not known for. I was thinking it is the skinny legs on the leading link forks, but then you have skinny rear seat stays... Can anyone enlighten me or suggest a reason?
Hilary Stone asked the same question in a period road test... I’ll dig out the article

Hilary Stone asked the same question in a period road test... I’ll dig out the article
Bicycle magazine, August 1988;

‘Fitting a brazed-on cantilever, U-brake or roller cam brake to the unsprung part of the fork (stirrup) would be impossible given its present design. But surely it would have been desirable to have increased the diameter of the unsprung blades even at the cost of increased unsprung weight so that a decent brake could be provided’.

I guess the short answer is that Moultons of that period were designed for side-pull front brakes, period.

Last edited:
Happy to know that some fantastic Mombat bikes are in good hands. Nice story
I’m going to follow the restoration

could you write a listing parts ?

Back