1987 Marlboro Claud Butler Majestic 2 tandem FINISHED pg13

Ah! I’m looking for one for my son’s bike: little project to reduce his front ring as he loves to Mountain bike with us, but has trouble on the hills with five speed. Found some inexpensive short square taper bmx cranks and bb adapter with a 110bcd....just need a 30 or 32 tooth ring now...

If you've got a 5 bolt 110bcd crank, then smallest chainring size is 34t, or 33t if you can find one (I think TA make them but I've never seen one. Might be stronglight, not TA...)

Looking really good! Why have you got the gripshift cable barrel bits above the brake levers though? They're usually installed below, looks a lot better and cabling is probably easier
Just dry fitted at the moment, initially fitted whilst still in the stand so I haven’t “felt” where I want the brake levers, they will dictate where I fix the grip shifts. I’ll sort them when I start cabling up.

Ah! I’m looking for one for my son’s bike: little project to reduce his front ring as he loves to Mountain bike with us, but has trouble on the hills with five speed. Found some inexpensive short square taper bmx cranks and bb adapter with a 110bcd....just need a 30 or 32 tooth ring now...
These are strong light, pretty sure you can still get them.
Just checked them, they are smaller than 110, more like 86

Last edited:
Yes the one in the pic looks 86mm, but I was answering corbeau who said he had a 110 crank but wanted a 32 or 30t chainring

That’s what I found, there is a French company that makes a 33 (is that TA?), but doesn’t seem worth it for the cost, when the difference between it and a 34 (using St. Sheldon’s calculator) seems minimal!

Apologies for the thread hijack, I was curious if it was a 110bcd crank...

Last edited:
Also had a muck about with adding a rear disc as an emergency “drag brake”, thought I’d try before I buy and used a front from another bike. I agree it’s not the best solution but it is a working one and only as an assist to the canti brakes.View attachment 545845View attachment 545846

Oh yes, BB’s and cranksets sorted as well..
View attachment 545847
A drag brake is always a good idea , on a tandem , the way they pick up speed going down hill is alarming . It's how I learned to swear in Italian . The only time I've got up the other side of the Hole of Holcomb {between Pickering and Whitby} without pedaling was on a laden tandem .

Back