1961 Raleigh superbe (Helio)

I can't remember whether the red lens screws in, or just needs a twist.
Try dipping in hot water first.
Keith

Re:

Just ordered a new kickstand thanks for the link middleworldbiker I'll be getting new tires, inner tube, rim tape and brake cable so I can get him on the road again and ride it safely.. I didn't mention it but there was a R.I kickstand on the bike... it's beyond repair though.

Attachments

• 20200819_190031.jpg
    20200819_190031.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 607
  • 20200819_190124.jpg
    20200819_190124.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 607
Lovely bikes these! Looks like a great project!. I've got a few of these now, after getting addicted......

I bought this 1951 Superbe as a parts donor bike:

Z8JA7Aml.jpg

When I got it home and inspected it it turned out to be better than expected so I restored it!

Z5AXFDcl.jpg

I converted it from rod brakes to period correct Raleigh Industries calipers and the Sports handlebars - the brake cables are the last thing I need to do to it before riding. Like yours they are Raleigh specific cables with a soldered nipple at either end and a set length. I've looked into how these are made and the nipples are soldered on - I'm going to get some nipples made so I can make up some new cables as they would've come from the factory. I'll let you know how I get on.

sherlylock":mv55h94z said:
Lovely bikes these! Looks like a great project!. I've got a few of these now, after getting addicted......

I bought this 1951 Superbe as a parts donor bike:

Z8JA7Aml.jpg

When I got it home and inspected it it turned out to be better than expected so I restored it!

Z5AXFDcl.jpg

I converted it from rod brakes to period correct Raleigh Industries calipers and the Sports handlebars - the brake cables are the last thing I need to do to it before riding. Like yours they are Raleigh specific cables with a soldered nipple at either end and a set length. I've looked into how these are made and the nipples are soldered on - I'm going to get some nipples made so I can make up some new cables as they would've come from the factory. I'll let you know how I get on.

I think yours actually is supposed to have rod brakes judging from the lamp as well. Its likely a older Superbe Dawn Roadster? there was a few models and some had rod brakes even into the 1960s. Not that it really matters i mean.. the differences are rod brakes and handlebars. good luck with getting the spacific cables sorted out.. i'll have to see how you get on if im not successful in my hunt for cable.

Re:

I want to get a hold of some proper tools for these bikes as well including proper size wrenches/spanners and hub spanners for the 1990s gear hub and 1950s 4 speed hub. Not sure what the sizes are for the handlebar stem nuts.

karinexmachina":2nlgybyt said:
I think yours actually is supposed to have rod brakes judging from the lamp as well. Its likely a older Superbe Dawn Roadster? there was a few models and some had rod brakes even into the 1960s. Not that it really matters i mean.. the differences are rod brakes and handlebars. good luck with getting the spacific cables sorted out.. i'll have to see how you get on if im not successful in my hunt for cable.

Yep - first pic is the "before" pic - with the rod brakes. I got given a 1948 Ladies Light sports roadster which came with the handlebars/stem/calipers/cables - so I decided to convert it - preferring caliper brakes to rods.

Raleigh continued to manufacture roadsters with rod brakes into the 80's I believe.....for the nostalgia market. My current commuter bike is a 1960 Raleigh Dawn Tourist and that has rods too (they're not that bad to be honest)....

tUJzmkel.jpg

I'll have a look at my tail light to see how it comes apart - pretty sure it's the same as yours......and I need to change the bulb. Will let you know what I find. (Unless you've already sorted it?)

Back